Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat just found a small chicken wishbone and seems to have…

My cat just found...

My cat just found a small chicken wishbone and seems to have eaten the big part of it. I found the shards. He swallowed a rubber band last summer and had to have it surgically removed. Very expensive and very difficult on him. He is 2 years old. He already has a sensitive stomach so I am worried about what to do. I mix water in his wet food because he throws up when he drinks it alone. I add a few friskies to his wet food because he will throw up if he eats dry food alone. Crazy cat!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

I don't think so, thanks!

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Silly cat

I presume no signs so far-> pawing at mouth, repeated swallowing?

Paul

No, but he's quite pleased with himself and has been licking his chops. I've been so careful to put everything away but missed the wishbone this time.
For now, I'd prefer to use this system as I have just signed up.

Ha ha ha!

Okay no problem

The good news is that sharp objects are handled very well by the GI tract

Suggest you add one to two teaspoons of canned pumpkin to his food OR Metamucil (without Xylitol!) at one teaspoon per meal

Do this for the next few days

This will coat the bone and push it through

Okay?

Paul

OK, I will try that. Thank you. He has just gone down to "his" room where we lock him up at night. (He is a very crazy cat and it is for his safety as well as the safety of our things:) He normally likes to be with us always so this may mean he is starting to not feel well. He does this when he doesn't feel well or is throwing up.

Okay well keep me posted

You should update me tomorrow AM

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

OK, thanks. One more thing, he's going in and out of his litter box. Normally, he doesn't go in while I'm around and he's not really going to the bathroom.

Hmmmmm

I wonder if we have a second problem-> stranguria (struggling to pee)

This worries me more then the bone

We need to confine him to one room with the kitty box and food and water to see if he can get urine out

Paul

OK, I can do that. I'll add more water to his food because he throws up when he drinks water straight. I add quite a bit of water to his food and he pees regularly. Good news is that he's back up here nosing around, so at least he's feeling better. I'll put him downstairs for the night shortly.

Good job

Update me later tonight if he deteriorates

Paul

Ok, thank you.

Very welcome

Paul

Benjamin seems to be just fine today. I’ve been adding pumpkin and he seems to like it. No more pawing around the litter box either. Is it good to always add pumpkin to cat food?

Good stuff

No I would just give the pumpkin for another day

We dont routinely add it :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul