Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat is losing weight even though he is eating. Midnight, he…

Cat is losing weight...

Cat is losing weight even though he is eating

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Cat's name and age?

Midnight, he is 11 today

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Cat's name?

Midnight

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Midnight?

He is demanding a lot of attention and having trouble jumping up on things

3/13/2018
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Midnight.

The most common reason for a cat to eat well but lose weight is "hyperthyroidism". It is treatable with medication and diet.

Inflammatory bowel disease is another cause for an older cat to eat well but lose weight.

If he is having trouble jumping, he may have arthritis, or may be weak from something like hyperthyroidism.

Thank you, ***** ***** been worried, I will make appointment with my vet to get him tested

You are welcome; that would be best. Please let me know what you find out.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating.