Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He’s a stay that’s been hanging out with his girlfriend.

Hi. He’s a...

Hi. He’s a stay that’s been hanging out with his girlfriend. Apparently dumped and He’s pretty feral.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

He suddenly dropped weight. I put food out at night and hadn’t seen him in a few days. My daughter came by and commented he was really skinny. The female is pg so that nite i bought some canned food. He didn’t eat any she ate all of it. So i put a vup if dry food out. Still here the next morning. So as far as i know he hadn’t eaten since Fri night. He quit coming around my daughters dog just found him under the house. She was able to catch him. I think he is dying. He’s letting me hol him. Slow w breathing. No cuts or wounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

We tried feeding him. Gave him a couple of syringes of chicken broth. He’s not swallowing hardly any. I put him in a kennel with blankets. He’s is just laying there. Neither of these cats have we been able to touch previously and now he doesn’t care

Still waiting
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I have paid the full amount thru pay pal and i haven’t had a vet respond at all
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Benedetta, and would like to help.

I am not set up to use the phone, but we can communicate by writing, if that is ok with you.

Stray/feral cats can have a number of infectious diseases which are rare in pet ctas, like Feline leukemia, Feline AIDS abd others.

So a stray cat that loses a lot of weight and suddenly is so sick that lets you pick him up, is indeed a very sick cat and may be terminal.

If you can take him to veteriarian, the ceterinarina may be able to run some tests, and diagnose him, which will help figuring out if he is treatable, and whether it makes sense to treat him.

If you cannot take him, then you are already doing all the you can, keeping inside, safe and warm, and feeding him fluids little by little.

If you do have pet cats, please keep them away, as he may well be contagious, although the baove diseases can only contracted by bites, other viral diseases may still pass form the sick cats to your other pet cats.

There is no concern for dogs or people.

Hope this helps, even though it is not good news. If you ahve further uestions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Benedetta Sarno, DVM

sorry for all the spelling/typing mistakes, my spell check is off

Hi I have some amoxicillin. 500 mg. Would some of that help him. I called the nearby vet it’s 175.00 to euthanize him. I do have him inside he is very lethargic. Doesn’t hardly fuss when i give him the broth. But now he’s kinda groaning and if i touch him it’s either a weak growl or a groan. I am on s.s. And can’t tajr a stray to the vet. I don’t know if he’s old or diseased or what
Should o continue with the chicken broth

MOst veterinarians will euthanize pro-bono if you explain this is a stray, and is suffering.

it's a good samaritan thing, I would be surprised if euthanasia was refused.

The local shelter or humane society will also take in a stray and euthanize him if he seems so very sick as you are describing.

The chicken broth will be fine for him, and maybe just some plain water.

Amoxicillin 500 mg is too much of a dose, and probably even at the right dose, oral antibiotics are unlikley to be benficial at this point.

I do think that if you call back and explain the situtaion, the local vet will be amenable to euthanasia.

hope this helps!

Thank you

YOu are welcome, thank you for taking the trouble to help a stray cat!

You can also take the pregnat female to the shelter, and in most cases they will let her have the kittens, then sterilize her and adopt all the cats out. Feral cats can be adopted as barn cats, for example

But do check what the shelter policy is about pregnant cats, some shelters will not allow her to terminate the pregnancy, and will just sterilize her.

Which is a good way to apply population control, but may not be what you wish to have done.

If you cannot cath her, again the shelter might be able to help with catching her too, by using a humane trap or similar.

She’s very pregnant. Like any day. We never see her babies. So something happens to them idk. I’ll call the one by me tomorrow , i was told they put feral cats to sleep. And she doesn’t bother us. She only comes around at night and eats whatever i put out.

from a population control point of view, and to keep these stray cats healthy, my recommendation is to take her to the shelter, even though she does not bother you, and even if you don't see the kittens (which is odd).

Glad you have found somebody to call tomorrow for your feral sick one

benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

benedetta7