Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have 3 cats, 2 female and 1 male. I have 3 food bowls, and…

Hi! I have 3...

Hi! I have 3 cats, 2 female and 1 male. I have 3 food bowls, and have been giving them a half cup of good twice a day. Yesterday, I noticed there was still some food in all three bowls at feeding time, which is unheard of with them. I havent changed their food. My youngest female is in heat. Is there anything that would cause all 3 of them to start eating less?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

The male is almost 3, named Dante. Older female is around 5, named Sansa. And the younger female is about 7 months, named Beatrice.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

3/13/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. There are a few things that could cause all their appetites to be lower than normal. Intestinal parasites, an upper respiratory infection, a toxin ingestion or even a something that they all ate that is causing some gastrointestinal problems are potential concerns. I would see if any of them seem congested or are sneezing/coughing. I would also look for any areas of diarrhea or vomiting. Lastly, if there has been any change in their environment, they could possibly all have some type of anxiety due to that. It is less likely, but it is possible. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

No diarrhea, and 1 of the cats has vomited a couple of times over the last week. None of sneezing/coughing or appear to have anything wrong with their breathing.

Thanks. There could still be some type of infection. Just not a respiratory issue. Have you opened a new bag of food or treats before this started? Is there anything they may have gotten into? Any other signs of illness with any of the cats that you can see? It is entirely possible that the one cat in heat is causing some anxiety issues between the cats. That is not unheard of with cats. Let me know if you have other questions or information.

It is a new bag of food, but the same brand as they've been eating for months. They're all indoor cats, and I haven't noticed another symptoms with them. I could see it being caused by the cat in heat. The other two seem more irritable due to her constant yowling. How long should I wait before trying to take them into a Vet for testing?

The food may be the same, but sometimes there could be something wrong with a new bag of food. You may even want to try buying another bag, open it and see if they act the same. If that one cat is yowling a lot, that can affect all of them. I would try a different bag of food first. If that doesn't do anything, but they are still eating most of their food, you can still watch them for 5-7 more days to see if there are any signs of illness. If more and more food seems to be left over the next couple of days, or if any one of them shows any other sign of illness before them; I would get them into the vet to be checked out. Hope this helps.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome.