Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been throwing up bile, acting lethargic and stays…

My cat has been...

My cat has been throwing up bile, acting lethargic and stays in the same spot for long periods of time. She's not eating anything, not even wet food and I am worried about waiting too long before getting her any medical attention.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

She does like to be outside and frequently brings me birds and mice. Her most recent mouse was just 2 days ago and Im hoping that doesnt have something to do with her.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

How old?

How long has this been going on for?

Gums pink?

Still drinking water?

Paul

She is somewhere around 3 1/2 years old. She was adopted as an older kitten.
I noticed she wasn't acting herself yesterday and also noticed she's been throwing up a lot more this last week (she regularly throws-up undigested food if she eats too quickly) but her puke has been more liquid than food. I have not seen her drink any water or use her litter box in the last 24 hours. I checked her gums this morning, they still look pink. I pressed on her stomach and she whined while I was doing so.

Okay

I am hoping this is just acute gastritis but we do have to consider inflammatory bowel disease, foreign body and pancreatitis

Suggest we give Pepcid AC- 1/2 of a ten MG tablet twice daily

Do not feed till later tonight

Water, pedialyte and no salt chicken broth are fine

Okay?

Paul

How do you suggest giving feeding her if she won't eat or drink herself? Also, what are some warning signs or "red flags" to watch for if it is inflammatory bowel disease or foreign body and pancreatitis?

You can put the pill in a tiny bit of butter and then on top of index finger.

Then place onto back on tongue

If she continue to vomit OR does not eat tonight then she should be examined tomorrow

Paul

I will try your advice and reply tomorrow morning with an update. Thank you.

Very welcome

Better to update me tonight- I want to stay in the loop here

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Update: She is not vomiting but is also not doing anything else. I’ve had to force the pedialyte down her throat along with the 1/2 tablet of Pepcid AC. I’ve seen zero improvement and she’s now hiding in my son’s room, which is not a normal place for her to sleep in.