Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat seems to be weaker on one side and is tilting her…

Our cat seems to...

Our cat seems to be weaker on one side and is tilting her head

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

She is walking kind of sideways and is tilting her head and seems to stumble, not able to jump up on chairs as easy as she could

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did the cat have a fall?

Not that we are aware of, she has some age on her though, I read where it could be inner ear, very off balance, just started last night

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Jazzi, probably around 12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Nothing I am aware of, she is very calm and peaceful, she is declawed and stays inside all the time

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Is she falling to one side?

Are her eyes flickering from side to side?

Scratching her ears?

Debris inears?

Paul

One eye is drooping and she is falling to one side

Okay

The ears? Debris?

Scratching at ears?

Eyes flicking from side to side?

Paul

No scratching of the ears, don't see any debris in the ears, and the eyes are not flicking from side to side

Okay

This sounds like Idiopathic feline geriatric vestibular disease

Comes on very suddenly

No real know main cause

Resolves over 5-10 days time

Make sure eating and drinking

IF vomiting then you will need some anti-nausea meds

Make sense?

Paul

it does, and she tend to urinate on the floor at any given time and she is litter trained

Okay

I would still get her blood and urine tested at some point

She may be drinking more water and/or have a urinary tract infection

Paul

Okay we will try this and thank you!

Very welcome

Please update me tomorrow

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian