Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 14 - 15 year old cat is craving for food and is thinner.

My 14 - 15...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** about 14 or 15. She does throw bowel movements as well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Queenie?

An odd time she will vomit. Certainly always hungry.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Queenie eat anything unusual?

If there is any slight change in her diet it upsets her.

3/13/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Queenie and her big appetite. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, I want to start by saying that - while I cannot make a diagnosis based upon an online description, you've given a perfect description of one of the most common diseases of older cats...

FELINE HYPERTHYROIDISM.

Of all the diseases older cats can get, this is the best one to have because it is relatively easily managed.

It takes a visit to your vet and some basic blood tests to get a diagnosis, but then you have a few options for how to treat it.

I'll get you a link to where you can find more information about feline hyperthyroidism.

What is your question for me today, please?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

This link takes you to a page that describes the signs and symptoms for hyperthyroidism. If you read through the information provided, you'll see that your description of Queenie fits in pretty well.

There is a little box on the upper right-hand side of the page that says "Related Articles". There you can click to read more about treatment options, etc.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=516

I do hope this is helpful information for you.

While there are other things that could be causing these symptoms for Queenie, hyperthyroidism is certainly the most common.

Please let me know how else I can help you this morning. I want to be as helpful as possible because I know what it's like to worry and I'm convinced help is available for Queenie.

Are you still there? I want to be as helpful as possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your expert help today but I will leave it there. Thanks.

Of course. You're very welcome.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response so I may receive credit for providing you with this information today.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you think of anything else. I'm happy to help.

Thank you for using our website.

Just checking in one final time to ask if you have any additional questions after reading through the articles I provided the links to.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Your satisfaction and Queenie's good health are my goals. If that's all you need, please remember to rate my response so I receive credit for helping you.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I am pleased to say that my cat is ever so much better and seems to be her old self again. Obviously a tummy upset that has come O.K again so I am quite satisfied. Many thanks.

You're very welcome. This is wonderful news, and I'm so glad to hear that your cat is doing much better.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out and I'll do my best to help.

Please remember to take a moment to rate my response on your way out of the chat so I may receive credit for helping you.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian