Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I dropped one of my Flexeril 5mg and I think my cat got it…

I dropped one of...

I dropped one of my Flexeril 5mg and I think my cat got it cause I can’t find it. It’s unlikly but I was still scared so I gave him 7ml of 3% peroxide to induce vomiting only about 5 minus after I dropped the pill. Anyway he hadn’t thrown up and now I’m worried about the peroxide...I’m eating with a lot my other cat has small cell lymphoma...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Just his normal soft food

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

He had Pancreatitis three years ago

3/13/2018
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back soon with a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I know I’m likely freaking out over nothing but with dealing with cancer with the other one....I’m kinda crazy at the moment

Flexeril has a pretty narrow margin of safety. I couldn't find a specific dose to be worried about, but I found a toxicologist state this:

It's a centrally acting skeletal muscle relaxant. Clinical signs can develop with in 30 minutes to a few hours post ingestion. Typical signs we see in cats include depression, ataxia (wobbly walk), tachycardia (fast heart rate), vocalizing, mydriasis (dilated pupils), hyperactive, and other behavior disorders.

So depending on how sure you are that he ate it, you might head to the vet.

Regarding the peroxide...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My guess for the Flexeril is only 10% likely
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I read the pervious answers regarding the Flexeril and they weren’t as worried at 5mg for a 15 pound cat

It's not really recommended in cats as they're less tolerant and can get severe stomach and esophagus irritation. I'd give 5mg pepcid AC twice daily and monitor. If he starts to vomit and not eat then head to the vet for sucralfate (a medicine to coat the bowel and heal ulceration).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I just bring him in to the er?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since he’s already had stomach issues

I don't think you need to rush to the ER yet, but if that would make you sleep better then definitely go.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
55357;�
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
K thanks

Definitely give pepcid 5mg twice daily to settle his stomach. I hope he continues to feel fine!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have Prilosec is that ok?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His brother takes that with his prednisalone and chemo

Are the question marks because you're confused? Yes, he can take that...probably around 5-10mg.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You talking to a woman that bought a baby scale to track her cancer cats weight....
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No the question mark was a thumbs up emoji lol
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry this thing doesn’t like emojis

Haha....ok. Just want to make sure I'm helping the best I can!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m just kinda on high alert right now and freaking out. Thank you

You're welcome! Let me know if I can help in any other way! Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I shoved the pill in his mouth and I still have a face...if he starts acting weird I’ll bring him to the er

Good plan!

DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian