Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat used to be very active when she was younger. She is 6…

Customer Question
My cat used to...

My cat used to be very active when she was younger. She is 6 yrs old and is overweight and just wants to eat and sleep all the time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?

Tipper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tipper?

When she was real young she was almost hyperactive. We have 3other cats and she stays upstairs in my bedroom and doesn’t want to be around the other cats. I have always thought she seemed depressed. She would sit in the garage and stare at the wall. We used to laugh about her being depressed. The vet did a blood test and said it came out ok. She was thrown out of a car window when she was real small before we had her. I always thought maybe she had a head injury.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/13/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? How long have you owned Tipper? When was bloodwork last performed and do you have results to share? Can you tell me more about how many hours per day she sleeps? Have any other diagnostics been performed for her such as chest x-rays? Any history of coughing or collapse?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She seems to be ok. We have had her since a kitten when a friend stopped and picked her up after being thrown out of a window of a moving car. Blood work was just done about a month ago. Vet just said blood work came out good. She seems to sleep most of the day and night. She wants to eat nonstop and is very overweight. She will eat dry food till she throws up and then start eating again. Occasionally when she comes downstairs she always stays on a table so the other cats can’t get to her. They are all combative with each other. No history of cough or collapse.

Do you happen to have a copy of the bloodwork that was performed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I dont

So, first things first, has a diet and exercise plan been implemented for her? How much does she weigh?

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian