Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I don't think anything I have a new cat. We did have lilies…

I don't think anything...

I don't think anything I have a new cat. We did have lilies in the house about a month ago. The cat was around exploring today and I don't think he got on the kitchen table but I know how dangerous they are. Later on tonight I was cleaning off the table and noticed there was some pollen on the table and I know it's Lily pollen. I immediately checked his for her and didn't see anything but still wiped his fur off of the wet paper towel anyways. Should I still be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

I also should say the lilies were remove from the house a month ago as well I just happened to notice some pollen was still there from that time. I got the cat two day s ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

Did you read my message he doesn't seem her anywhere I'm worried about the pollen that I saw on the table I don't think he came in contact with it but I am paranoid is there a way to tell if he did. Mind you he Twitches his fur and rules but he was doing that at the shelter before I brought him home he drools when you pet him

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Doesn't seem hurt anywhere sorry. Just wondering how to know if there was pollen contact should I bring him to the vet tomorrow to get kidney levels checked? Unfortunately I can't take him to emergency my cat died a month ago and that's why I had the bouquet with lilies in it my cat died of heart disease and I spent over $2,000 an emergency trying to save him so I can't with this cat so soon

3/13/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

There are a LOT of lilies that exist on the floral market these days and quite a few can cause major symptoms. Can you share pictures of the lilies that you have in your home or share the exact name, if this was originally provided?

It wasn't but I remember what it looked like and I'm pretty sure it was a poisoness one. However I think I'm being overly paranoid I don't think he got on the table or if he did I don't think he walked in the pollen. The pollen had to have been sitting there for weeks and was only in one small area. I'm pretty sure it would still be poisonous regardless of how long it was sitting there. However the pollen did not look disrupted as if he had sniffed it or stepped in it. However once I realized it was there I did wipe off the table and his fur with a wet rag which he did not like but I felt like I had to do it just in case any got on his fur or toes. However I don't know if he had already groomed by that point. There's really not much I can do - like I said in my previous message I recently spent over $2,000 on my cat before him and I would not be able to do that with this new cat so soon. However I would be able to get just his kidney levels check to determine if there is anything going on. He hasn't been acting differently such as throwing up or anything. Some of the other signs of the Lily poisoning were similar things that he did even at the shelter so I wouldn't be able to determine if it was from the Lily poisoning or not. For example he drools when you pet him and he Twitches or flicks his back fur. He also would tremble when I picked him up shortly after bringing him home for example he would do a distress purr and his body would tremble. But this would only happen when I picked him up. But he was doing this when I first brought him home before he ever had any access to the kitchen table. I called the vet about the trembling and flicking and he thought it was simply a nervous response from coming from a shelter to a new home. I'm pretty sure he's okay I definitely will keep an eye on him he has a vet appointment on Monday for his first checkup. Do you think I should go in earlier?

Can you share pictures of the lilies so I can help you determine if the concern is warranted?

The pollen itself is less likely to be a major concern vs. the leaves, stems and roots of most lilies. Not all are toxic and some are labeled lilies though they aren't lilies at all. If we have to address this from this point forward: the most prudent thing is to remove the lilies from your home or enjoy them from a platform that your cat cannot access (like a closed bathroom or even from the refrigerator, which is my solution to avoiding lily toxicity in my own home since lilies are one of my favorite flowers).

Drooling while being petted is not a concern as this is a sign of happiness in cats. We'd be more concerned about acute drooling without cause. Same with the twitching fur without other symptoms.

I think it's safe to wait for your appt Monday. If no symptoms have developed in that time, I would talk to your vet about your concern but chances are monitoring will do in this case. If you do want to share pictures back so I can be more specific in helping you, I may be able to clear the air about concern if this is not a type of lily known to cause ARF in cats. In the meanwhile, do watch for nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, avoidance of food or water, profuse drooling or pawing at the mouth, etc. These would all be signs of a more major concern which might be connected to the pollen exposure.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I wish I could share a better picture but like I said the flowers were in the home about a month ago and have been in the garbage in our garage for some time - they had a white purple lavender ish color to them my mom bought me a bouquet the day after my cat died. I haven't seen any of the signs you describe he's acting how he normally did I think I'm just paranoid cuz I recently had a cat who is in kidney failure and had heart disease so it was very hard for the vet hospital to help him because the treatment for the kidney failure triggered his heart disease it was horrible to go through so I think I'm an overly paranoid Mommy now but that can't be a bad thing. But I kind of am kicking myself cuz I thought for sure I had the house cat ready but I just didn't notice the couple pieces of pollen still on the centerpiece of the table I cleaned off the table itself but forgot to wipe off the centerpiece

​You may wish to ask your mom to provide information on the florist and call to see what lilies they included in their bouquet. They should have this information on hand. With them being dried up now, this will be harder to discern. Thankfully, only about 1-2 days will pass before renal failure would happen if it were going to occur. Thus, if Monday rolls around and you've not witnessed any symptoms your companion is likely out of the woods. Based on your history, I have a strong suspicion that your companion will not suffer any ill effects.

Thank you I feel a little better unfortunately she bought the bouquet from a corner drugstore so I know they will have no idea I guess I could ask them what florist provided them but I think at this point I will just keep an eye on him. The unfortunate thing is if he does show signs tonight which would be a full 24 hours as he had access to them at around 9 p.m. last night or even if he doesn't show signs until tomorrow I know that by the time I cat start showing kidney failure it is probably too late and if it isn't it will cost quite a bit of money to save him - which I wouldn't be able to do
Actually I just looked up more pictures and asked for a picture of a lavender and white lily and it came up as a Peruv***** *****ly which it said is not toxic so I think I'm okay but I will keep an eye on him.

Excellent. Keep me posted on your progress. I'll check back in with you over the next few days to see how things are going.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse