Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is about 18-19 years old. he is inside out side. he…

Hello, my cat is...

Hello, my cat is about 18-19 years old. he is inside out side. he started about a month ago biting at the bottom of his feet. Now there is a crusty formation growing around and between the pads. They are infected or bleeding, he is chewing and biting at them ALL the time. Any recommendations?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

I am sorry they are NOT infected or bleeding!

3/13/2018
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you. What is his name? Is it all 4 feet that are affected?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello, my name is Tonya. the cats name is Skittles. as of right now it is only on the front paws, but I have noticed he has been shaking his back legs like there is something stuck on the bottom of them, so I assume it is moving there as well, this how it started on the front.

Ok, that is helpful to know. He is an old fella! Love his name! Does he have any other health problems?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he is old, about 19 or so. No, no other health problems, he has lost his hearing, but other than that he is perfect. Still climbs trees, fences, eats and drinks all the time. he is perfect!

Thats amazing! There are several things that can cause crusty lesions on the foot pads in cats. Just to confirm, you don't see any crusting on his face or belly right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nope! and just to clarify, they are not bleeding or infected. I just had a mobile vet here about 2 weeks ago, the crusty was not showing at that time, he checked him over very closely could not even find a flea on him. He gave him a steroid shot, but that did nothing!

Ok, thats helpful. So he seems quite bothered by it, yes? Would you be able to upload a picture of one of the affected paws?

Yes, I got them! Looking at them now!

Thank you, ***** ***** were very helpful! The most likely causes would be a fungal infection, or an autoimmune disease, although usually steroids help with that one.

It seems like he is very easy to handle since you got those pictures!

Here's what I would suggest:

If he would let you I would suggest bathing/soaking his paws twice a week. You can use an OTC shampoo at the pet store, or you can use white vinegar diluted 50:50 with water.

Sorry, it takes me a minute to type. I am still typing.

I would also suggest rubbing some coconut oil on the crusty areas to try and soften them and allow removal of them during the baths/soaks.

Having the mobile vet out again would also be a good plan since the crusts were not visible before - some oral steroids may work better.

Sarah Snow

There is an autoimmune skin disease called pemphigus that can cause lesions like this. A biopsy is necessary to confirm it, and oral steroids are one of the treatments. Definitely watch for any other lesions on his face or belly too!

You're welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow