Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She has been having reflux. I know because she souds just…

She has been having...

She has been having reflux. I know because she souds just like me! It may be getting worse. what can I do for her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

She sits in my ly lap a lot. She bubbles up just like I do with reflux. How can I help her/

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

I am guessing her hind legs may be hurting her. She hides her hurts very well. She doesnt know about complaining... Smiles...

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is Pico (for Picasso) and she is about 14 or 15 years old. She is well care for and loved, a lot!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pico?

She, natually sleeps , a lot, when she isnt ordering me about. I know she isnt jumping on high fences very much, any omre.

3/13/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. For the reflux, I would start by recommending starting her on Pepcid, which is an over the counter antacid that can be found at any grocery store or pharmacy. Her dose would be 1/4 of a 20 mg tablet every 12 hours for the reflux. This would be a good place to start as it will decrease the acidity in her stomach and helps with most reflux issues in cats. If you're not seeing any improvements within 48 hours or so, I would recommend taking her to the vet for a check up to make sure there isn't more going on, but I would start with the Pepcid first.

Thank you, ***** ***** much. That was my first instinct to do, but of course, I had no idea how much!. She hates going to the Vet, but she is a perfect patient once we get her there. They think she is the best patient, ever. But she will wet all over me before we get there. She is an amazing animal, though! I just hate to put her through it.

I completely understand, my cats are the same way believe it or not! I hope that works for her. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Schmidt
I have Pepsid Complete, is that alright to give to her. How do YOU administer the Pepcid to the kitty. It is a challenege to get her to eat her wet catfood, which she likes.
I put a little in her wet cat food, but I don't want her to stop eating that if she taists something different in it. Any suggestions?

Yes, you can use Pepcid Complete for this. I would administer it by dissolving it in a little bit of water and giving it using a syringe.

Thank you, ***** *****