Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I noticed some pink in my dog's urine a few days ago, but…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. I...

Hi Pearl. I noticed some pink in my dog's urine a few days ago, but the next day and yesterday it was fine. Today there is some pink again. I have been giving her colloidal silver in case she has a UTI. Could passing a stone cause the intermittent blood? She is seven, and has had a few UTI's in the past, mainly when being boarded and she didn't drink a lot of water. When she was a puppy, she had a UTI, and the emergency vet said her bladder showed an abnorma; bladder that might cause frequent UTI's, but her regular vet (who has seen her for the other UTI's) didn't seem concerned.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

I'm wondering if intermittent light blood (pinkish residue) in my dog's urine could indicate a bladder stone, either struvite or calcium, rather than a UTI?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No. She had her annual exam in January with blood work, and everything looked fine, except for a slightly high monocyte level, which the vet thought could be due to the beginning of periodontal disease. She had her teeth cleaned at the vet's a few weeks ago. No mention of testing for the elevated monocytes at that time.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/12/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. It sounds as if she's hematuric - blood in her urine. A bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) is the most common cause of hematuria in a middle aged female dog. Less commonly, uroliths (stones) or neoplasia (transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra) are found. Her vet vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of her bladder through her abdominal wall - the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine - and perform a complete urinalysis looking for the presence of bacteria or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells - any of which suggest a UTI. If found, a broad spectrum antibiotic is prescribed for 10-14 days and the urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of threapy is completed in order to ensure that her urinary tract has been sterilized. Alternatively, her vet will suggest culturing the urine to determine the very best antibiotic to prescribe. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! I will be calling her vet in the morning, as her office is now closed for the evening. Molly is resting and seems comfortable, so I am hopeful tomorrow will be soon enough for her to be seen. Would pink urine show up one day, but not the next? We have been fortunate to still have snow on the ground, so I was able to notice the blood! We saw it on Saturday, but not on Sunday or earlier today, but then again this evening. She is drinking and eating well.

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear that she'll be attended to soon. Yes, hematuria need not be clinically apparent at all times. A urinalysis, however, can detect blood unable to be seen with the naked eye in the form of elevated red blood cells in the urine. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I do have one more question: Molly is a Golden Retriever, and as we sadly learned with our last Golden, they are prone to developing cancer more often than some other breeds. I am concerned that you mentioned neoplasia. Our other Golden had mast cell cancer on her front leg when she was the same age as Molly. She recovered after surgery, but sadly passed away suddenly when she was 10. Are there any other symptoms besides hematuria if she may have neoplasia?

Yes, stranguria - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian