Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My haired 1-year old male cat is crying in pain and shaking.

My long haired 1-year...

My long haired 1-year old male cat is crying in pain and shaking. He is probably constipated because he squats in the clean litter box for long periods without results. Do I need to take him to an emergency clinic or is there something I can do at home? Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Anecky... 1 year old. Pure-bred Siberian.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

He is otherwise healthy, good appetite & very active. This is the second episode like this. Our local vet suggested adding pumpkin puree to his food and giving him 50mg docusate stool softener. I did that this morning. He's in much more distress now than this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Anecky

3/12/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Has he been urinating normally? Any vomiting that you've noticed? Has he had any bouts of constipation previously?

He was constipated about 2 weeks ago but not as distressed as now. The vet had me add pumpkin puree to food and change to wet food from dry plus give him 50mg docusate stool softener. I did that this morning when I noticed he sat in lityer box for a long time with no results. I have 3 cats ... don’t know if he’s peeing. He thre up fur ball last night

Ok, thank you for the information. I would try to find out if he's urinating for sure even with his history as if he is having problems peeing, that can be a worse issue. As far as whether or not to take him in tonight, I think if he's in enough distress, I would take him in tonight for a Pet Enema and some fluids. The other thing you can add to the mix is Miralax 1/2 tablespoon every 12 hours on his food to help with the constipation.

He was also constipated about a week ago & I took him in to my local vet who gave him an enema and an oral liquid (can't find it to get the name right now) which he immediately threw up.
THank you. I'll take him in.

Poor thing, well he might need another enema tonight. Good luck, I hope it goes well for him.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started