Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat seems to be whining and having a hard time rolling…

Customer Question
My cat seems to...

My cat seems to be whining and having a hard time rolling over....which she likes to do when I come around her. She still plays and runs around however it seems after a while it gets to be to much for her and she has to lay dwn and that’s when the whining starts. I’m not sure if it’s a sprain or what it could be.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** 1 yr old I believe...I mayb off a little becuz I got Hera few months after she was born

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Princess?

She’s bout a yr old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Princess?

No other than that she has been eating fine and drinking fine...this jst started on Sunday

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/13/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Has Princess been spayed?

With the increasing daylight hours if she is not spayed it is very likely that she is going into heat.

Typical behavior includes rolling, crouching with the rear in the air, both along with increased vocalization, and increased scent marking. They can get pretty loud and their calls often make owners think their kitty is in pain, she isn't however.

She's announcing to the boys she's available.

Cats will continuously cycle through heats unless bred or manually stimulated about every 2 weeks until late fall.

If you don't want kittens it's time to spay her. Don't worry about waiting for her to come out of heat to spay. Because cats continuously cycle it is really hard to catch them between cycles, and in young cats going through their first series of cycles in heat or out won't really make a difference.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, thank you, ***** *****