Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Old stray cat. Lives in shop. Lost a lot of weight. Is

Customer Question
Old stray cat. Lives...

Old stray cat. Lives in shop. Lost a lot of weight. Is peeing a ton. Blood in urine. Doesn't seem to have pain. Can't catch the cat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the stray's name and age?

Brother is the name, at least about 15. Not sure. Just showed up one day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brother?

He does not have a blockage. He eats a lot and drinks a lot. All of sudden runs off fast to pee.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/12/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear Brother is having problems. There are a few things that can cause weight loss despite a good appetite, as well as increased thirst and drinking, including diabetes, kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, and some types of cancers. Since there is so much that might be going on, I recommend getting a humane trap (some hardware stores rent or sell them) and setting it up with food in the back. Once the cat is caught, you can get him in to the vet to run some lab work to figure out what the problem could be. Many of the conditions that develop in older cats can be treated if caught early, but in this case it might be a challenge if you can't get near him. I still think it's worth having the lab work done, though, in case he happens to have something that is easily fixed.

Already tried.

Okay. Have you tried slipping some Benadryl into his food? You can crush some into canned food. Give him 4 tablets of 25 mg Benadryl. That should slow him down long enough that you will be able to catch him.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel