Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat Simon is 8 months old. He has started attacking me,

Our cat Simon is...

Our cat Simon is 8 months old. He has started attacking me, sometimes in play, but other times it is not play. Also has jumped up near my face. He does this to my husband very seldom. Simon is a very smart and curious cat and loves his time outside. He wears a harness and I have a long leash. I do not let him roam. Simon seems to attack when he wants something from me or wants me to do something. Sometimes I know what he wants, others I do not know. His mother was hit by a car when he was 3 weeks old. He and his sisters were fostered til 8 weeks then brought to shelter for adoption. We only adopted Simon. I have done everything I know to do and can't figure out why he is attacking. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Simon

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simon?

He has a good appetite and uses the litter box. He never learned from his mother not to use his teeth for play or to keeps his claws in. When he plays, he bites and has claws extended. He is an independent cat but does not like to be left alone. He is a short hair tabby. He is basically loving, but I cannot trust him to turn on me. We really love him and will do all we can for him. We are not the type of people who give up on an animal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/12/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear Simon is attacking you. He is lucky to have such committed owners. I have several thoughts on what to do. First, I recommend only interacting with him with toys for a little while, rather than petting and cuddling with him. Just the act of not giving him a chance to attack you will be a good step toward discouraging that behavior. Secondly, when you do start touching him after a while, always keep a spray bottle on hand. The second you sense he is about to attack and he DOES, spray him in the face. When he is about to attack but DOES NOT, redirect him with a cat treat. Some cats have anxiety. There are a few things you can do in case that is part of the problem. I would get a calming collar for him that releases calming feline pheromones. There is one called Nurture Calm that you can purchase online for about $15. You could also try a Feliway diffuser to promote calm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your input. I will try what you suggest. I did just order some Feliway yesterday from Chewy.com. Will be interested in seeing if that helps. I assume I use water in the spray bottle??????

Oh yes, I should have clarified. Water in the spray bottle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you again. If the suggestions do not work or I need additional assistance, you will be hearing from me again!!

You're welcome! Please do follow up if you need more advice. And if I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions or concerns.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The water bottle seems to be helping. Simon is a quick learner; all I have to do is show him the water bottle and he almost always quits and runs. Not sure yet if the Felway is working but I this it is helping. I just got it yesterday.
Thank you for everything.

That's great to hear! I'm glad the water bottle is working.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian