Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat was outside in the woods behind my house, and got…

My cat was outside...

My cat was outside in the woods behind my house, and got caught in some thorny brush, when I found him he was like in shock, and his head was moving constantly. We took him to the vet and they gave him tons of fluids. He looks better than he did Thursday but will not eat. His head moving is at a minimal but he does not have good use of his legs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Mike and he is 2 1/2 years old. He was diagnosed with Feline Leukemia in February. He got out accidentally. He refuses to eat. I have gotten a little food down him and eats hungrily then refuses it again.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mike?

He is three legged, and was adopted by me that way. Always been active.

3/12/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to Mike. It sounds to me like besides getting into the bush that he may have been exposed to a toxin. Did your vet do any treatments other than the fluids? Was any lab work done? Another possibility is that he has developed infection or cancer secondary to the feline leukemia

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has been giving him prednisolone and doxycycline which he recently will throw right back up as soon as he takes it. How can you get a cancer so bad when you were diagnosed negative with feline leukemia right before Christmas, positive in the end of January and been on Pred and Doxy for the last 3 weeks? He will eat only what he wants and just a little of it and then wants nothing for a while. He is still strong and moves away from food or turns his head. I will ask her if she has done any tests to find cancer.

Unfortunately leukemia related cancers can show up and progress pretty rapidly. Has your vet tried calling the doxycycline in to a compounding pharmacy and had it flavored into chicken or fish flavor? This makes it more palatable to cats. Sometimes cats turn away from food because they are nauseous, so treating with an anti-nausea medication like Cerenia is important. An appetite stimulant such as mirtazapine would help, too. Some diagnostics that can be done to diagnose cancer would be blood work (normal blood work rules out other causes of illness such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney problems), abdominal ultrasound to check for abdominal masses, and chest x-rays to check for cancer spread. I would start by asking your vet about getting the doxycycline compounded and getting your cat on an anti-nausea medication and an appetite stimulant, to start with.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** *****
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The doctor does give doxycycline in a compound form. Last night he urinated and the urine was brownish and pinkish, I thought maybe he had a bladder infection. We took him to the doctor and they have him now. The doctor did tests and says he is more anemic than yesterday and feels like there is no hope for Mikey but he will let me know this afternoon. I am heartbroken. I was hoping more antibiotics, food and less stress would help him, and give him more time. Could the leukemia have been latent in him as he tested positive as a kitten (10%) but was negative before they adopted him out. I am just trying to understand this disease as I have never had a cat with it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You did not answer my question about latent feline leukemia

Sorry about that. How is he doing now? Sometimes kittens test positive for leukemia if their mothers are positive and they have leukemia antibodies in their system, and then test negative if they don't really have the virus themselves. It's possible that he contracted leukemia after you got him, unfortunately.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian