Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have moved in with My sister who has 3 Cats an 2 little…

Customer Question
I have moved in...

I have moved in with My sister who has 3 Cats an 2 little Dogs. The dog's don't bother the Cat's usually. Well My Lizzy who was used to just living with Me Has been mean & at night pees on my seat in the living room an My Sisters seat too! I get that He {Lizzy is a He} is Mad about the Move. What can I do? We cover the furniture with pads at night an have a camera so We know it's Lizzy! Thank's for any help He also bit a visiting cat so bad $230.00 in Vet bills!?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Lizzy a Male is about 6 Yr's old an this is happening still after a Year of being here!

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

"LIZZY"

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

No, Healthy well taken care of & made a buddy with one of the cats here. They hang together an play together all the time!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/12/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Lizzy has been urinating in inappropriate places since moving to a home with multiple dogs. It sounds like this may be stressing Lizzy more than he is used to. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Is there any thing I can do?

Yes. Give me one moment. I am typing my response now.

There are a few reasons for this behavior to occur. The most likely is called interstitial cystitis, which is bladder inflammation caused by chronic stress. This is a fairly common condition that mimics a urinary tract infection. When cats have bladder pain they often change the location of where they choose to urinate. Clothes, furniture, carpet, rugs, etc. all become objects they will urinate instead of their litter box. Treatment for this condition is to find ways to either change the environment to decrease stress (if possible) and to give treatments that help to decrease the anxiety response. Having ways to escape the "threat" of a barking dog is part of the treatment. Making sure there are high perches in the house and rooms where the dogs are not allowed to go and Lizzy can escape is the goal. There are some over-the-counter remedies that are helpful such as Feliway, which is a pheromone extracted from nursing cats that helps to calm anxious cats. It comes as a plug-in and spray product. The most important thing is to dedicate a room for Lizzy where he can be separate from the dogs as much as possible. Research shows that a dark, quiet room helps to alleviate these symptoms faster than medications. Switching to a canned food diet helps to increase water intake and that helps them urinate regularly, which decreases inflammation. That can help.

The other differentials for urinary tract pain would be an infection (less common in males) or crystals in the urine. All of this can be ruled out with a routine urine sample test from a veterinarian, so I would definitely recommend that be performed if possible.

Does that help to answer your question?

You might also want to consider visiting the Indoor Cat Initiative website (http://www.indoorcat.org/) for more information regarding how to focus on the environment to make changes that will help Lizzy adjust. Finally, there are medications such as fluoxetine that he can take that may help reduce the anxiety response.

Hello? Are we still connected?