Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have moved in with My sister who has 3 Cats an 2 little…

I have moved in...

I have moved in with My sister who has 3 Cats an 2 little Dogs. The dog's don't bother the Cat's usually. Well My Lizzy who was used to just living with Me Has been mean & at night pees on my seat in the living room an My Sisters seat too! I get that He {Lizzy is a He} is Mad about the Move. What can I do? We cover the furniture with pads at night an have a camera so We know it's Lizzy! Thank's for any help He also bit a visiting cat so bad $230.00 in Vet bills!?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Lizzy a Male is about 6 Yr's old an this is happening still after a Year of being here!

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

"LIZZY"

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

No, Healthy well taken care of & made a buddy with one of the cats here. They hang together an play together all the time!

3/12/2018
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, my name is*****'m a veterinarian and hopefully will be able to help.

Urination around the house is a common sign we see in cats. The majority of times it is down to stress. We need to try and determine that this is just a behavioural issue though and there is no underlying medical problem causing the urinating.

The most common medical cause would be cystitis - most of the time in cats this is not an infection, occasionally it is though. It may be prudent to take him to a vets to get him checked for this, they would most likely look at a urine sample to look for signs of infection/inflammation/bleeding. There could be other causes but they would be rarer and we would go by degree of suspision bofore looking for these (with ultrasound and further imaging generally)

If this was clear it is likely behavioural and a stress response. From your history this seems quite likely! Moving a cat to a house with multiple cats and dogs can be extremely stressful for them, even if they don't obviously express it to you and even if he has made a friend with another cat. The cats he isn't friends with will be making his life stressful even if they don't fight. Cat's aren't naturally pack animals like dogs so quite often they don't like being with other cats. A few times I have advised, after trying treatment and failing, to move the cat away from the household and their signs have improved.

Some things to try:

Make sure the area is cleaned properly, you need to use biological cat pee cleaner - if not he will be able to smell he has been there before, this is very important, if you use regular cleaners he will just smell through them and pee where he has pee'd before.

You could try pheromones - in the uk where I am these come as a plug in and can have a calming effect. There is another over the counter medication we use called zylkene which has a calming effect. Combining these can help a lot.

Make sure he has somewhere he can go and call home in the house where other cats won't disturb him. Cats like going ip high so they can see whats going on too.

We can potentially, if things are getting bad and hes not responding to the above, use behavioural modification drugs but theses are prescription so you would have to see your local vet before using them.

If you have any more specific questions get back to me.

Thanks, Tom

( if this answer has helped at all please rate me 5*)

Sorry I forgot one important thing!

If he ever looks like he can't pee ie straining and looking in pain he needs to see a vet asap, even in the middle of the night if necessary. Unlikely to happen but male cats can get a blocked urethra which means they then can't get the pee out, this is very serious and lifethreatening, although he doesn't sound like he's at risk it is worth mentioning (cats who get cystitis are at higher risk though)

Thanks, Tom

Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
5*
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Cat Veterinarian