Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat 12 had an ingrown nail removed a few days ago and to…

Hello, my cat 12...

Hello, my cat 12 had an ingrown nail removed a few days ago and to stop the bleeding the doctor placed some potassium permanganate on the wound site. He has also given us a collar for her to wear for a few days.The wound has now dried and the area looks like it's black (colour of the potassium maybe), will it be a problem if I removed my cat's collar within a day and she licked the dry potassium? It will be 4 days of wearing the collar by the time I remove it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if 12 will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about 12?

She did have a previous issue with her kidney/liver numbers so will licking the dry potassium permanganate affect her organs?

3/12/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The small amount of that cauterizing agent isn't toxic to your cat and to minimize the amount she might ingest you can use a moistened gauze pad or cotton to wipe away the potassium permanganate prior to removing her collar. The site shouldn't bleed four days after surgery. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Okay that's great, thank you very much Dr. Salkin, really appreciate your quick response

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.