Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She seems to be congested and has been for a couple months.

She seems to be...

She seems to be congested and has been for a couple months. she is lively and eats well, and has no other symptoms other than a slight snore when she sleeps and eye crusts.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Gertie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gertie?

Indoor cat, only pet. 1.5 years old

3/12/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Gertie has been congested the past couple of months. There are many causes of nasal congestion and snoring in a cat, including allergies, bacterial infection, nasopharyngeal polyps, and fungal infection, just to name a few. The simplest of these to diagnose is allergies. You can try giving her a 25 mg Benadryl tablet and see if it clears up her congestion. If not, I recommend getting her to the vet for an exam so they can thoroughly examine the inside of her ears and mouth, where polyps tend to develop. Depending on the exam findings, your vet may recommend skull x-rays to check her sinuses. Sometimes a cause for the congestion is never found but can be treated with a medication called Cerenia. It's an anti-nausea medicine that has the benefit of being a decongestant. Afrin nose drops are also helpful. You can put 1 drop in each nostril once daily. I recommend still looking into the cause of what's causing the congestion, but those are a couple of things you can do to treat it. Depending on what the problem is, she may need antibiotics or sedation to remove any polyps that your vet finds, or treatment with an anti-fungal medication.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian