Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 3 month old kitten was just vomiting after eating..I I'm…

My 3 month old...

My 3 month old kitten was just vomiting after eating..I I'm worried and he has watery eyes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the kitten eat anything unusual?

I fed him canned food the one that he usually eats and after that some water

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

He's been sneezing for quite a while too and I just found him coughing

3/12/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear your kitten isn't feeling well. It sounds like he may have an upper respiratory infection, which is common in kittens. Is he up to date on his vaccines?

he is
his sneezing has been ongoing for a while but it's the first time i heard him coughing
his vomits looked like semi-digested food
he's playing now but I'm worried sick

Upper respiratory infections in cats are caused by viruses, but can develop into secondary bacterial infections. With the coughing, I am worried that he has been having this respiratory infection for some time and it has now developed into pneumonia. It's possible that the vomiting is stimulated by the coughing. I recommend having your vet check him out. They can listen to his heart and lungs and take his temperature during the exam. Depending on what they find on the exam, they may recommend getting some chest x-rays done to investigate the cause of the coughing. If he does have pneumonia, he will need to be on antibiotics for a while.

I will take him to the vet tomorrow. I have another kitten. Should I separate them for now? Also, is the condition serious and fatal? Thanks!

Yes, I would separate them. Pneumonia can be fatal but it sounds like he has an appetite and a good energy level, so I think he will be just fine with the proper treatment.

Thanks a lot!
I'll see how it goes tomorrow!

You're welcome. Good luck with him. And, if I've been helpful I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Thank you and have a good night!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian
Well thank you and you too!