Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 15 year old cat was inactive licking lips constantly and…

Customer Question
My 15 year old cat...
My 15 year old cat was inactive licking lips constantly and had a reduced appetite. Blood work and testing showed a temperature, blood in urine, collapsed trachea and an enlarged spleen, although the xray did not show a mass or anything, so the vet suggested a scan next. I have limited funds and do not want to put the Alexander through heroic measures and worry the diagnostics will be too expensive for me to complete past this scan. .
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/12/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Alexander has not been feeling well. Did your vet talk to you about what might be going on? Was all the blood work normal?

No maybe cancer maybe a tumor that started in his spleen that can be removed if it hasn’t spread
Albumin low alb/glob ratio low
Abc 20.8
Neutrophil high

Did your vet talk to you about doing a urine culture to check for infection?

He did draw urine and said there was blood in there and he had a fever. Didn’t ask about if it indicated infection
Plus can cats be comfortable with a collapsed trachea for long?
He is eating normal with coaching but doesn’t seem to be gaining weight in the 2 weeks since visit 1 when he received his first injection

The neutrophil count being high, having a fever, and blood in the urine are signs of a urinary tract infection. Did your vet treat with antibiotics? I am surprised that your vet would suggest a CT scan to check for cancer. Typically this is done by abdominal ultrasound and x-rays. Is your vet suspecting a bony tumor? I can see how a CT scan might be indicated in that case. Is Alexander having signs of a collapsing trachea? The main one is coughing.

Thank you... I meant uktrasond not ct. yes he gave him an antibiotic injection after viewing the labs. He wanted a X-ray to rule out lung issues and that is when he noticed the enlarged spleen and possible collapsing/thickening of the trachea. That’s when he suggested the ultrasound since if the tumor was localized it could be removed.
The vet left a message stating there was no indication of any issue other than a couple of tiny cysts on his liver. He said Alexander’s spleen must be a little larger in proportion but not diseased. Heart great stomach so I guess it was an unessecasry precaution but better safe than sorry. Next is the trachea to discuss medication management. Alexander’s symjtons have improved dramatically in the last 2 weeks but definitely a rattle. He doesn’t cough often perhaps 3- 4 minute or so episodes that I observe when home for 3 days with him

Hello, how is Alexander doing? Has he started medical treatment for his trachea problem?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Alexander. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel