Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Elevated blood count enlarged spleen and partially collapsed…

Elevated white blood count...

Elevated white blood count enlarged spleen and partially collapsed trachea. Not sure of next steps, with limited funds and don't what my precious kity to suffer. 15 years old and until 2 weeks ago in excellent health

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?

Alexander

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alexander?

His kidney function seems normal based on the recent bloodwork, he will eat his normal amount with a lot of coaching. Lost 2 pounds since last exam a year ago and is very inactive

3/12/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Alexander has not been feeling well. An elevated white cell count is a sign of infection and/or inflammation. He may be reluctant to eat because of nausea. I recommend treating him with antibiotics and anti-nausea medication (Cerenia is a good choice), and maybe an appetite stimulant, too. Is he having any vomiting and/or diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything I read about an enlarged trachea tells me untreatable since could be hearteorm feline leukemia and possibly infection. He is no longer Nassau’s and had a high dose of antibiotic via injection 10 days ago but is still larthargic. I wanted to wait to spend on another Image after a second dose of blood work but the vet says cancer spreads fast so ct scan needs done sooner than later. I wo t do chemo if it’s cancer and with limited funds for another scan possible spleen removal surgery and other expenses. Can’t get past about 1800 and have 600 so far. Love this cat very much. I can’t the percentage it might be just infection causing inflamed spleen. Kidney function is good according to lab results. No longer drinking tons of water
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No viniting or diahreah

Thank you. To make sure I understand, is Alexander's trachea collapsing or enlarged?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great question I do believe enlarged.
I am getting a cut tonight at a sizable investment so wondering if indeed it is cancer and confined to the spleen if that is a costly yet usually effective treatment

Congrats on the good news. Yes, if the cancer has not spread, removing the spleen will be curative. Make sure you have 3-view chest x-rays done to rule spread of cancer to the lung.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cut above means ct. my apologies..
I will ask fir the view of the lungs.
Alexander does have a barking sneeze/cough and sounded rattled on exam one which is why the vet wanted to do a chest X-ray before anesthesia to draw blood (he was uncooperative so Alexander had to be sedated)
Could it be anything g else you can think of fir consideration?

Nothing that I can think of at this time. Please feel free to keep me updated. If I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Or, I would be happy to continue our conversation if you have further questions or concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cancer is the only thought on an enlarged spleen?
I’ll hold off on the rating as I’m sure I’ll have questions after the ct scan at 6pm. So far you have been great

Unfortunately in cats, I have not encountered any other causes of an enlarged spleen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh I guess I have been in denial on that hoping it could be the white cells on overdrive fighting a treatable infection
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the X-ray didn’t show any mass or growth so that is why the. Vet suggested an other type of test.
Would that possibly mean that is often the sequence of testing

I think your vet is being extra cautious by offering the CT scan. I would ask what specifically they are looking for by doing it to make sure they have a good reason to recommend the test.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am wondering about that. He seemed to indicate the second scan would give a clearer indication and this areas a good start to finding out what is wrong. That concerns means me and when I asked what the next step would be if this second imaging does not showing anything he explained I don’t know; we will see after the scan. So if Cancer is the only cause you see in cats what do you think you would do as the next step? If
Next if his trachea is collapsed not enlarged what course would you recommend. I realize I am asking a lot without you seeing Alexander and would never hold you responsible in any way if information you are providing is not in the end my best next move by the way!
Next: what if he is the same weight as a week ago Good sign right?
While sedated, after viewing him if no masses or growths are discovered would it be wise to request another blood sample since Alexander is already under?
Thank you so much

Honestly, I would not have the CT scan done unless your vet can answer your question with more than "we'll see after the scan." They need to explain what they are looking for to justify this costly test. Personally I think the next step, as long as there are no signs of cancer spread, would be to have the spleen removed and submitted for biopsy. If Alexander's problem is a collapsing trachea, there are medication management options, including antibiotics, steroids and a cough suppressant such as butorphanol. I would ask your vet about those. I would have blood work done if it was done longer than a month ago. One thing I would ask about while he is under sedation is for the vet to watch for the movement of his vocal folds. Animals that have a collapsing trachea can also have laryngeal paralysis which makes their signs worse.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay this is so tough since I agreed to the scan at 6 and he has a traveling tech with equipment coming for about $450.
Do vets remove seenszir do specialty surgeons normally do that.
I think he is looking for. “Clearer picture”. I have never felt in the past he recommends more than necessary testing but this could be an anomily.

I'm in no way suggesting that you shouldn't go forward with the CT scan, just that he should be able to tell you what you are paying for. Regarding who would do the surgery, it depends on the doctor's experience. If your general practitioner has experience with splenectomies, he might do the surgery. If he's not comfortable, he would refer you to a specialist (boarded surgeon).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay and thanks so much!
I’ll let you know tonight what happens

You're welcome. Talk to you soon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alexander was weighed before he went back and gained a little weight in the last week! No tempeerature, tech said it needs read by a radio list but ultrasound showed nothing at all unusual in the spleen! Said niwehere else did he see any issues in the upper body and lower abs but did see a couple spots on his over that in his opinion were not concerning. Will know reading tomorrow. Said could see pretty far down when he did the trachea area and while not the most accurate available test said enlarged not collapsed!
He received another shot of antibiotics and ate treats right after at the vet and a regular sized meal when he arrived back home.
I am hopeful!

So glad it seems like the spleen looked normal, and so glad he ate a normal meal. Thank you for the update!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian