Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 15 year old cat is vomiting several times a week, but a…

My 15 year old...

My 15 year old cat is vomiting several times a week, but a couple of times in the last 2 weeks I've also noticed some red blood and mucus on his stools. Will be taking him to the vet but I'm working 70 hours weeks right now so was not sure how serious this might be. He eats well, both canned and dry food, grain-free diet due to allergies. He is an indoor only cat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No. They don't have access to the trash can and he's not a PICA type kitty either. He's been on the same two foods for months now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Frosty.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Frosty?

He did have constipation last year and had to be taken to the ER vet and they did an enema and he yowled a heck of a lot. We felt so badly for him. Not sure if hat would have caused anything long term or not.

I forgot to mention. Most of the time when he vomits it is brownish fluid from digested food, but sometimes in the early mornings it will be pink and foamy or white and foamy with no food at all. He has dry food down 24/7 and he gets canned food 2-3 times throughout the day at about 6 hour intervals. I previously had a hyperthyroid cat, but other than a tiny bit of weight loss and vomiting this cat doesn't show any of the other symptoms of that.
3/12/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Frosty has been vomiting and having some loose stool, as well. As you know there are a number of different conditions that older cats can develop that can cause vomiting. Hyperthyroidism is just one of them. Other causes of vomiting include ingestion of a foreign body, irritable bowel disease, gastrointestinal lymphoma, diabetes, and kidney and liver disease, to name just a few. Since there could be so much going on, I recommend that Frosty have some lab work done, including a complete blood count (CBC), chemistry profile, thyroid check, and urinalysis. If all the lab work is normal, there would be a lot of things that could be ruled out, including diabetes, liver and kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, urinary tract infection or crystals in the urine. Loose stool with blood and mucus indicates inflammation of the colon, which is commonly causes by stress. It's possible that whatever underlying problem is causing the vomiting is also causing the stress diarrhea. If the lab work does not reveal what is going on, your vet may recommend doing an abdominal ultrasound to check for signs of irritable bowel disease, lymphoma and pancreatitis.

OK I will get him an appointment. I just wasn't sure if it was something that needed to be done ASAP since he is fine most of the day and we have only seen the blood on stools once or twice a month and the pink frothy vomit just once a week, but the vomiting itself is 2-3x a week. The stools are not loose. They are formed and well hydrated, not constipated appearing. The blood does not appear to be mixed in, just here and there on the outside. He had crystals when he was a couple of years old and didn't drink much, but I have had him on a maintenance powder for that since then and instituted the canned food and he also drinks more now, so he's never had another flareup of that. As mentioned, I'm working 70 hours right now and had to pay taxes this year instead of getting them back, so I was hoping to wait for a month until I could afford the vet and lab bills. I have checked his blood sugar at times in the past, but not recently so I could check that just to rule that out. (Had two cats in the past with diabetes and one of those had CHF too). I feel like over the years I've gleaned enough knowledge to be a vet tech, but this was the first time I've encountered this situation.

I do think he sounds stable enough that you can wait a month before taking him in for the appointment.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian