Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 6-month old cat keeps farting and has a terrible smell to…

My 6-month old cat keeps...
My 6-month old cat keeps farting and has a terrible smell to her. She was spayed about 4 days ago. She doesn't seem to be bothered by any of it, but it seriously reaks. I tried wiping her down and checking her tail and nether regions for traces of feces. Do I just need to wait this out?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Was she fine in this respect prior to the spay, this is a new symptom?

I believe so. There was definitely no smell before. We adopted her after the spay (yesterday), but had visited her two weeks ago and there were no symptoms.

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

Abnormal gas { flatulence } is something you see in the cat now and again and is usually the result of abnormal fermentation of the foodstuff in her intestinal tract. While this is unpleasant it is rarely a serious situation. I have advised clients on this subject in the past, your options are limited but here are some suggestions.

1. Live yoghurt added to the food on a daily basis can often help. Some flatulence situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into her intestinal tract and hopefully help restore the balance. You do not need to give much, perhaps a couple of teaspoons each day and see if this helps

2. Try adding activated charcoal or small charcoal biscuits to her diet, this is an old but effective remedy for flatulence. You can get cat sized ones from better pet stores.

3. This is what is likely to work best, ***** ***** change in diet to something which agrees with her more. Try and get her on a more highly digestible diet, this is just trial and effort, choose a new diet from your local pet store which is very different from your present one and introduce it gradually over the course of a few days. Also one of the Hills Prescription range may be suitable, your vet will supply this and advise.

4. Feed her a number of smaller meals in the day rather than one large one.

If none of the above help or your cat appears ill or other symptoms develop you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side, I have sometimes known rarer intestinal parasites cause this problem. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Okay so that addresses the farting issue, thank you!
What about her smell? There is just a pungent, need to wash my hands after I play with you, smell that seems to linger and kind of stink up the house. She smells kind of like a barn or a shelter. But again, we visited her two weeks ago and she didn't have this smell.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

I think the best thing to do is to let her settle in for a few days more after her spay and change of home, but perhaps gradually modify her diet as I suggested as intestinal tract issues could be affecting her general smell. Then perhaps wash her with a human baby shampoo, cats are very fastidious so the chances are this will settle down given time ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Beautiful, thank you sooo much! Really appreciate it.

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Stella. How is everything going?