Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 15 year old cat has oily coat. Will not drink out water…

My 15 year old...

My 15 year old cat has oily coat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

Will not drink out water bowl.eats can food watter added and dry food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Princes

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Princes?

15

3/12/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

So am I correct that your primary concern is her oily coat?

Do you have additional concerns you need to discuss?

I AM CONCERNED NOT DRINKING OUT OF HER BOWL. SHE IS STILL VERY PLAYFUL.

Oh thank you for clarifying that.

How long have you had her?

Has she always refused to drink out of her water bowl, or is this a new problem? If so, how long has it been going on?

4 months

You have had her 4 months? Or the problem has been going on 4 months?

Get started beginning of the week

Hmmm. Do you scrub her bowl out every day and put fresh water in it?

She is a little finicky I wash your bowl out everyday and give her clean water. Somebody told me to get one of them water fountain bowls

Cats love running water. It's an instinct that serves them well out in the wild.

Is it possible she is drinking out of a dripping faucet when you aren't around? I have one of those cats - literally never see him drink out of the bowl. But I know he does. He just prefers a dripping faucet and pesters me to keep it dripping.

It's also possible that, if her kidneys are working optimally, she's getting enough water from her canned food and the water you add.

But still you do want her actually drinking.

I was away for a few days and the person watching her said he saw her drink.
O

I would definitely try a fountain for her. You should also place a couple of small water bowls around your home for her and consider leaving a bathroom faucet trickling for her.

And when you are able, you should take her to your local vet for a thorough checkup including a blood panel and urinalysis. If her urine specific gravity is starting to drop below 1.030 then her water needs will be increasing.

In the meantime, keep mixing the water into her canned food, too.

As long as she is eating enthusiastically, you can pretty much assume she is getting enough water. But I understand how unnerving it is when you just aren't sure.

Thank you very much.

YVW, happy to help.

Please do let me know if you have any additional questions or need further clarification.

And when you are all through please do rate my response so I can be credited with helping you. You can return to this chat window with an update in a few days - just bookmark it for easy return.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian