Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has black wax, possibly earmites. can I treat at

Customer Question
Hi my cat has...

Hi my cat has black wax , possibly earmites. can I treat at home ? I'm still paying off a high vet bill ,which is prob where he got mites perhaps.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

***** *****, he's about 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peter?

Thyroid was removed last October then dental surgry now doing great.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about ***** *****.

Ear mites are more common in kittens than in older cats. Unless he has been exposed to a kitten with ear mites, this may be a yeast infection which can also cause black ear discharge in cats.

You can clean the ears with mineral oil to kill mites and remove the discharge, but that won't help as much for a yeast infection or bacterial infection. You can use a water/vinegar solution for cleaning and it may help kill yeast, but not to reduce the inflammation and pain in the ear.

You can't get over the counter medication for inflammation or infection; you need to see a veterinarian for prescription medication. If his ears are itchy, rubbing a small bit of cortisone ointment such as Cortaid may help.

A cat gets ear mites by having direct, close contact with another cat that has mites.

I did not hear back from you. How is ***** ***** doing?

Was this helpful; do you have any other questions?