Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat ate a ribbon last night very thin about about 6

My cat ate a...

My cat ate a ribbon last night very thin about about 6 inches long type found on shirts to use to hang

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Luna 11 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?

I took her to the vet last night they tried to induce vomiting but she didn’t vomit and they wanted to do a endoscopy but I am not able to afford that

She ate the ribbon around 10pm Saturday central time
how long would it take for it to pass I have not seen anything yet
3/11/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that they were unsuccessful in getting Luna to vomit the ribbon that she ingested.

I understand that endoscopy can be expensive, so if that isn't an option we need to try to help her pass this through her gastrointestinal tract.

If she is feeling fine so far, eating and drinking normally that is good news.

But ribbon certainly can lead to gastrointestinal irritation or an obstruction so do keep a close eye on her. If she is refusing to eat, or repeatedly vomiting, running a fever, or has a tense, painful abdomen then an emergency visit and surgery may be needed.

Give me a few moments to type my recommendations to help her pass the ribbon.

She seems fine and normal right now

Great!

I recommend that you feed small meals of a homemade diet of 2/3 boiled white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 1/3 plain, boiled, white rice several times a day. Add 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber to help cushion and push the ribbon through. Feeding small meals several times a day keep the intestinal tract moving and hopefully will envelope the ribbon so it doesn't get stuck.

I would also give doses of hairball lubricants (Laxatone, Petra Malt for example) several times a day to help the ribbon slide through rather than catch.

Gastrointestinal motility is never normal with a foreign material present. So while most foods are processed and stools produced in less than 24 hours it may take days for the ribbon to pass. Rarely it gets partially caught and moves very slowly so may take even longer. But as long as it keeps moving and she remains comfortable and eating I am happy.

You will need to check every stool for ribbon until i passes.

If the ribbon is hanging out of her bottom it is ok to put on gloves and GENTLY try to ease it out. But any resistance means you should stop pulling, cut the ribbon leaving a short piece hanging out, and give her more time to pass it.

Once she's passed it and feeling fine then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you so much for all your help

You are very welcome, my best to your kitty.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara