Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My year old cat has had watery eyes and build up the last 3…

Hi, my year old...

Hi, my year old cat has had watery eyes and build up the last 3 days. I've been cleaning the corners of his eyes with a damp paper towel but now when I do it he pulls away and i feel like he's experiencing pain. And when I got home from work this morning it appears his nose is running now as well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Perseus.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Perseus?

He's had his shots, and was neutured

3/11/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I cannot make a diagnosis over the internet, but I can give you some advice regarding your cat. Sometimes this can be the result of allergies vs. an infection. For allergies, I typically recommend Benadryl (1 mg/lb every 12 hours), you can find this over the counter at any pharmacy or grocery store. For an infection, they will need either an antibiotic or an antiviral medication to help clear things up. I would start the Benadryl today, and give it about 48 hours to see if he improves. If you're not seeing improvement, I would recommend taking him in to the vet for a check-up. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for the advice. I should have previously noted that he still eats and drinks. But he's laying around more than usual and the inner eyelid seems to cover part of the corner of his eyes more than usual lately.

Good to know, yes definitely could be allergies, but still could be the start of an upper respiratory infection as well. I would stick with the Benadryl for a few days and see if he improves and go from there! If not, he will probably need an antibiotic to help clear this up!

How do I give him benadryl?

I would get some liquid children's Benadryl from the pharmacy. It will have a dosing syringe. It is usually about 2.5 cc for a cat. You will draw up that amount and put the syringe in the corner of his mouth and slowly give it to him. You can also mix it in with some wet food if that is easier.

Thank you so much Dr. Schmidt. I'm terrified of anything happening to him.
My pleasure, let me know if you have any other questions.If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian