Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is acting strange. She is sneezing and opening her…

My cat is acting...

My cat is acting strange. She is sneezing and opening her mouth. With her neck stretched forward. Sleeping under bed by the heat. Her meow is higher pitched then normal. She's 13 and an inside cat of 2 others

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?

Baby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baby?

Someone has been throwing up. I have 3 cats. I don't think it's her though. This am she ate a little hard food but no wet food.

3/11/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Can you share video of what you're seeing?

She is under my bed sleeping. I can try to send you something.

I'll be standing by.

It's too dark.

Would you like to continue without providing video or pictures? This may hinder my ability to be as accurate with my answer, without seeing what you're seeing.

She is out

I'll be standing by.

I can't send the pictures. We will have to continue without them
Unfortunately I can't do that right now
Her nose is dry & her eyes aren't watering

Is she breathing out of her nose or mouth?

Is she eating well?

Any coughing noises?

Any mucous production from the nose, either at rest or through sneezing?

Has she had any history a respiratory issues?

I think she is trying to breathe out of her nose, but keeps opening her mouth with her neck stretched forward. Ate very little this morning. Dry food. Didn't touch wet food. She keeps shaking her head. No mucus that I can see. No breathing problems
Yay it worked

It sounds like these may be symptoms of a respiratory tract infection. I would strongly recommend that she have an examination with a vet today to determine the cause and get her started on medication to help with her symptoms. If you must address this from home, and she's on no other medication, I would use the OTC human antihistamine Chlorpheniramine at 2-4mg orally every 12 hours. This should help with the congestion in her nose and will likely help resolve the open-mouth breathing she's doing and the next stretched appearance. You will also need to dedicate yourself to ensuring she's eating regularly. Cats can suffering liver complications from not eating within 3 days of a change in appetite. I would also offer KMR (kitten milk replacer) and pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

If she does not make substantial improvements at home or she worsens at any point, she does need to see your vet for an evaluation. I imagine they will want to try a course of antibiotics, as well. If you're not already running a humidifier in your home, this might also help to open her airways to breathe more easily. Don't use any essential oils, though this is a tempting solution for people. If you have no humidifier, you can boil large pots of water on the stove to bring up the humidity in your home.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I will take her to vet tomorrow. Should I give her the OTC meds today, or wait till she see the vet? I am running a cool mist vaporizer

I don't think it will hurt to use the OTC medications today, but she will likely also need to see the vet tomorrow.

Thank you very much. Now a dumb question. How do I administer the meds? A whole capsule for her to swallow?

You'll need to pill her like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWlpsTh6ddk&t=2s These come in 2mg and 4mg options, so you may need 1-2 tablets per dosage.

Thank you so much. Have a good day.

You're welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse