Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I gave my cat a bath today and a few hours later he is

squinting one of his eyes...
I gave my cat a bath today and a few hours later he is squinting one of his eyes, it's sensitive to light and the white part of his eye is swollen and a little red. I rinsed his eye out with lots of water, and he's still squinting and it seems the white of his eye has gotten more swollen. Also the outer part of his eye is swollen. If it's from the shampoo is it possible it can go away on its own or do I need to take him to the vet?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Since his third eyelid is up in the photo, can you see any hazing/clouding or changes to the shiny texture of the eye itself?

There is no hazing/clouding or changes to the shiny texture of the the eye itself that I can tell. But the eye is starting to have some green discharge.

Good, I am very glad to hear that the eyeball looks normal as the biggest issue with these situations is ocular ulcers from shampoo. Just to note, the white present in the photo is just his third eyelid and its up as a defensive measure to protect the eye from further irritation. That aside, from what you have reported the green discharge tells us we have a bacterial infection (conjunctivitis). It may be that the bacteria are opportunistic and taking advantage of the soft tissue inflammation from those surrounding tissues being irritated. Or it could have caused both. In any case, at this point, we'd want to be flushing Patches's eye, 2-3 times daily with eye safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. This will help remove irritants and bacteria alike. You can also check your local farm supply shop for OTC Terramycin eye drops. As long as we reduce that discharge by flushing out the bacteria, we'd hope to see this settle. Though if it lingers more than 24 hours or we see more discharge or those changes I asked about then we'd want his local vet to check the eye with a view to dispensing further antibiotics and kitty safe anti-inflammatories to nip this in the bud for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you when you own vet cannot, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian