Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat is 17 years old. Everything seems fine except she…

Our cat is 17...

Our cat is 17 years old. Everything seems fine except she has been loosing her voice, little by little for the last 10 days or so. She used to have a very strong meow, but now it's more like a high pitched cry. What's going on?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Roxy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?

She has lost weight over the last year or so.

3/11/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? When did Roxy last have a full exam and bloodwork?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not since we first brought her home. She is an indoor cat and has never been sick.

It sounds like she needs to have bloodwork performed. There are quite a few conditions which can cause weight loss, such as:

Liver disease
Kidney disease
Diabetes
Pancreatitis

One condition that we commonly see causing weight loss in senior cats, as well as changes in the sound of their voice is hyperthyroidism. This is more common in cats over the age of 13.

You can learn more information here:

Kidney disease: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/kidneydisease.cfm

Diabetes: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_diabetes.cfm

Hyperthyroidism: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_hyperthyroid.cfm

I would recommend that you schedule a visit to see your vet and discuss a CBC, chemistry, electrolyte and thyroid panel for good measure. If you've witnessed any appetite changes, vomiting or diarrhea recently, I would also suggest a pancreatic profile for good measure, as well.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your response. I needed to know where to start to try and help Roxy. I will rate the answer for you.

You're welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse