Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 7 year old male cat..came home (finally)... with a

My 7 year old...

My 7 year old male cat..came home (finally)... with a swollen left leg. Its warm to the touch.. scabs in spots..he cant put any weight on it...what can i do for him ? Other than it looks awful..he seems fine !

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Buddy. Hes 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?

We live in the country..hes free to be in out...he spends alot of his time outside...

3/11/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm glad that Buddy returned home! In a situation like this at home, the best you can do there is to get him into a warm and dry area where he can rest. I would provide him with soft, warm fresh food and a good supply of water for him. Nutrition and rest are the best you can do at home. The swelling with that leg, it could be an abscess from getting into a fight and a bite happening there. Could it be a fracture? That is the other concern. There are no safe over the counter pain medications for cats. Ideally getting him to your vet as soon as possible is the best thing.

Ok. Thats what we are doing..can i get some antibiotics. ?
.
I think he might of been caught in a trap...

A veterinarian can only write a script for antibiotics after a client / vet / pet relationship has been established which has to be done through a physical exam of the pet. Ouch! I didn't think of a trap situation. A trap can cause a break in a bone. I have a 5 year old cat at my house that I adopted after he got caught in a trap and his rear leg was so badly injured it had to be amputated.

Ok. Thanks. I will get him to vet asap..!!

That will be best. Keep him in that warm, dry and comfortable area with the fresh food and water available. I'm glad that he got home to you so you can get him the help he needs. I'm hoping for the best for him!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Thanks !

I am going to be very curious as to what your vet finds when they do an exam on him. This link will stay open so you can come back if you want to let me know!

I will let you know how he makes out !

I will be looking for updates. Give him a little ear scratching for me since I can't!

You are sooo kind, thanks for your concern !!! Goodbye !

Take care!

What kind of meds can i get him online ??

To be honest, there isn't anything that you can get online that would be of benefit at this time.