Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We recently adopted a rescue pit from an owner a couple

We recently adopted a rescue...
We recently adopted a rescue pit bull from an owner a couple weeks ago. She had a*****to her new home and she was shedding like crazy on the way home but it ended once she got here and comfortable. Chalked it up to stress. But now suddenly this patch has appeared on her side. She itches at her tail a bit like it actually itches but it’s not constant, maybe a few times a day. Wondering if this is the start of mange? I have other pets so want to get it figured it out quickly if it is something spreadable.
Thanks!
Sorry I meant to have that for a dog vet ��
3/10/2018
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Have you ever seen fleas on her at all? How old do you think she is?

They said she is approximately 2 years old. I have not noticed any fleas on her at all
Also she does not have any bites on her belly, if that makes any difference

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is the only hairloss on her side? With the hairloss it could be allergies which she could be sensitive to something in the environment, food or a combination of both. It could also be a type of mange as well . In most cases of mange it usually spreads quickly around the body and you will see large amount of hairloss. There are 2 types of mange that dogs can typically get either sarcoptic mange or demodex. Demodex tends not to be contagious but can cause dogs to be itchy. It can be easily diagnosed with a test called a skin scrape.

It’s just in this one spot so far. It appeared yesterday. We did transition her from pedigree to taste of the wild, maybe the food change?

It could be the food change but you also have to consider the environmental change since she has been rescued. especially since it is starting to get warmer, more plants may be blooming which may make allergies more apparent. You can try a dose of plain benadryl to see if it helps with her itching that may be able to tell you if it is allergies as well

Ok I’ll try that. I was thinking maybe it was an ongoing stress factor, but thought to maybe just ask anyhow haha. We live in Minnesota so nothing is blooming or warm here yet haha. But I’ll definitely try the Benadryl and see if that helps at all. Observe to see if it gets bigger at all.

Hopefully the Benadryl will work . If it does it may take a couple of weeks for the hair to grow back . Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Wonderful! Thank you!