Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has an inflamed rectum after starting some new

medication could they be the...
My cat has an inflamed rectum after starting some new medication could they be the cause of the inflammation?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What is the new medication that Abby is on?

She had super low white blood cells and a high fever and the vet diagnosed her with FeLV. She has been on Augmenten for a week.
I took her to a new vet. The second vet didn’t believe the infection/virus she is currently fighting is from the FeLV especially as she was starting to get better. The second vet started her on Zeniquin too. And she got 2 immune boosting shots... Interferon and Eqstim.
This vet also excreted her anal glands as she started to have dirrahea. I have her a pet probiotic Thursday afternoon. By Thursday night she had a very inflamed behind.
I’ll add two pics.. the first is from Thursday night and the second is from yesterday. We’ve stopped all meds as the vet believes she is reacting to one of them.
She is sleeping comfortably right now... I’ll add a current pic when she gets up.
The vet gave her an anti-inflammatory shot yesterday too. She still has dirrahea buts it’s not pure liquid like it was the last couple of days.
I’m wanting to keep her off all meds until her poop hardens and her behind clears.

Okay thanks for the additional information . Has she been scooting at all? Sometimes the irritation can be due to the diarrhea since they tend to have to strain some if they have diarrhea. Also cats may tend to scoot after going to the bathroom. Also augmentin can sometimes cause diarrhea in cats so it may be an indirect cause of the inflammation of the rectal area.

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Also if the anal glands were difficult to express that could have added to the irritation as well.

No scooting... but she is trying to groom the area a bit... she refuses to keep her Elizabethan collar on!
Could the side effect of the Augmenten take a week?? Then again, she wasn’t eating for the first few days.
Any suggestions on how I can help her harden her stool??

Yes sometimes it can take up to a week in some cats especially if she was not producing much feces due to the lack of appetite. She may be brushing the E-collar against the area as well. you can try to get one of the inflatable e-collars from petsmart. They may stay on better. Also as far as ways to harden her stool. You can try some flavorless metamucil to see if that helps but she may need to be place on additional medications such as a probiotic and a medication called metronidazole to help her some.

OK, thanks.
The vet sent her home with dexamethasone and I’m to give her two pills tomorrow if there is still inflammation.

You are welcome. The dexamethasone will definitely help. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns