Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 18 years old she has always been an indoor cat.

My cat Julie is...

My cat Julie is 18 years old she has always been an indoor cat. About 4 days ago she stopped eating her cat food dry & wet however she is drinking water and using her litter box. She has not thrown up and seems to have no other symptoms besides not eating normally she eats her food and then eats her sisters food as well unless I catch her funny she is a tiny cat & her sister is twice her size...Julie loves to sit in the bath tub ... especially if you just took a shower she likes to catch any drips of water. It’s been 4 days since she ate food. This morning I put her in the tub before I took a shower just because she likes it I ran the water for a second so it would drip for her ... after the dripping stopped I noticed she was licking around the drain itself.. after I take a shower I always spray shower spray and rinse out the tub every day. I rinse it good ... today when I saw her licking there I noticed there was alitte very little... build up around the drain ... I wiped the drain stopper and it came right off.. I’m wondering if she possibly jumped in a few days ago and drank alitte of the shower spray I use .... could that be the culprit? Thank you so much for your time! Cheryl

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if Julie will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Julie?

I don’t think so

3/10/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I am very concerned

She is 18 years old and has stopped eating

There are so many possible problems to think of but kidney and liver disease, cancer and inflammation are highest on my list

And cats that stop eating quickly develop fatty liver, a very serious disease unto itself

I have to recommend that get her examined and her blood and urine tested

Can you take her in?

Paul

is it possible medication can solve this problem? Also just curious how long do cats indoor cats usually live? Life span I guess I am asking ?
No texting is fine

Well 18 is pretty old......

Sure if it is pancreatitis or gastritis or infectious liver disease/gall bladder disease absolutely

And diet for bowel problems

Antibiotics to kidney infection

So lots of treatable problems

I a.m. thinking I should take her now? It would nt be good to wait until Monday on non emergency hours?
Thank you looking up the number now! I appreciate your help
They are closed today re opening at 9 am ?
They closed at 1 pm today

I agree

She should go in now

Please keep me updated

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open so you can update me

Is there an emergency clinic open now?

Paul

I looked up 3 offices in my area they are all closed now .. 1 Office has hours in the morning?

Did you look under emergency clinics?

If there is not a 24 hours clinic then take her in the AM yes

Paul

One more? If it was her kidneys or liver would she be drinking water and using her litter box?

Depends on how sick she was

I did reach a 24 hr clinic... unfortunately I lost my job of 20 years ... end of August.. the manager is fighting my unemployment still ... the clinic said for the emergency visit and possibly blood work I’m looking at 4-5 hundred dollars.... I have to wait until the morning... anything I can do here until the am ?

Okay

Lets offer some warmed up meat based baby foods

No salty chicken broth to encourage drinking

And give Pepcid AC 1/2 of a ten MG tablet twice daily

Paul

Thanks Paul

Very welcome

Please update me tomorrow

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Please Thnk Dr. Paul... I took her to an animal hospital last night! I had to make the Hard decision at 4 am this morning... it was the right thing to do for her .... ��

Very welcome

Paul