Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Swollen purple anus. She's constantly licking, having

Customer Question
Swollen purple anus. She's...

Swollen purple anus. She's constantly licking, having difficultly climbing/jumping---cries out unusually.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Pebbles, 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pebbles?

When she was at the vet last, her ex-ray revealed arthritis in the hips. She recently got a little virus from her sister who was seen at the vet, and consequently gave the virus to Pebbles and Wilma (mom cat)

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/10/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. To make sure I understand, Pebbles is having some problems with her anus?

as stated above.....for the past 3 days she's been having progressive difficulty jumping....I thought she might have some pain in her hips....her last exrays reveal some stinosis....but I just looked closer---seeing that she was licking her anus every few minutes---and I see that it is swollen and purple.
I have not witnessed her defecating or urinating....but I don't always see that.......she is drinking more than usual, and her appetite is normal.

Ok, thank you for the clarification. The most common anal problem in cats and dogs is full anal glands that sometimes becomes so full that they become infected and painful. I think that is what could be going on with her. Other less common causes include rectal prolapse, parasites, and cancer. Your vet will want to do a thorough exam, especially a rectal exam, to figure out what is going on. If it is an anal gland infection, your vet will prescribe antibiotics. I would also ask about pain medications at that time, both in the short-term and to treat her arthritis. A good pain medication for cats is called buprenorphine. It is safe and easy to give (it comes as a liquid you just squirt into their mouth). So I would ask your vet about getting her on that to make her more comfortable.