Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat seems to have had a complication from surgery to

My cat seems to...

My cat seems to have had a complication from surgery to remove a non-functional ectopic thyroid tumor that tested malignant. When my cat purrs, she has difficulty with inspiration to the point she coughs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?

Tiger Kitty, 8-9 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tiger?

Healthy otherwise, no problems breathing unless she purrs

3/10/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

How long has it been since she had her surgery, and how long have you been noticing the cough?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Surgery was Feb 21st. She had the breathing/coughing when purring problem the night I brought her home

Is she having any trouble swallowing food or water?

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

There are some important nerves in the neck which run very close to the thyroid gland in the cat. Given that your cat's surgery involved ectopic tissue (in a slightly different location) it's hard to speculate - and the vet who actually did the surgery is in a much better position to discuss this - but I have to assume she has some damage to the laryngeal nerve, which may or may not be permanent.

I am not sure in cats, but I do know in dogs and humans there are some surgeries done to help improve the situation. But it's too soon to know if that will be necessary. She is still in the healing stage.

If she is not having trouble eating or drinking, and is able to maintain a healthy weight, it's a good idea to wait and see how she does over the next several weeks. This may correct itself over time.

In the event that it persists and is affecting her quality of life, a consultation with a board-certified surgeon would be in order.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need any clarification.

If you bookmark this chat window you can return later (up to 5 days) to discuss this further. I am not online 24/7 but the system will alert me to your comments and then I can respond when able.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much!

YVW! Happy to help.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian