Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 17 year old cat has a weepy eye. How can I help him?

My 17 year old...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

Nothing other than his eye keeps weeping.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

He doesn't hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?

Melinko...17 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Melinko?

No....he's an indoor cat & basically very healthy

3/10/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

How long has Melinko's eye been bothering him?

Has he had any sneezing problems associated with this eye problem?

Has your local vet checked it out and ruled out a major eye problem like an injury or turned-under eyelashes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Over a week...no sneezing...don't have local vet

Do you have any other cats in the home that might have swiped him with a paw and injured his eye?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Np

Is it possible for you to get a close-up photo of the eye for me and attach it here to this chat window? I think there is a paperclip icon for you to use.

Ignore the phone call prompting - the chat window is better suited for this issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did u get the picture

No, I didn't. I can get you the customer service contact info and they can help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thankd...I'll find a vet here. Thank you

Link to customer service page http://ww2.justanswer.com/phone

I am suspicious that your cat has feline herpesvirus, which is the most common cause of nontraumatic eye disease.

I treat my FHV kitties with Viralys powder, a lysine supplement that can help to control the virus and limit ocular complications. You can find it at many pet stores and also online.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need further clarification. And you can bookmark this chat window and report back with the exam findings if you'd like.

When you are all through please do rate my response so I can be credited with helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help.....can I use boric acid to bathe his eye

I would avoid that. It might sting. Just use a little warm water on a cotton ball to wipe the eyelids clean.

You can safely use a bland ophthalmic ointment or lubricant that doesn't have additional ingredients (which should only be considered once the eye has been examined and diagnosed).

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian