Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She just started sneezing and I’m worried. She’s eating and…

She just started sneezing...

She just started sneezing and I’m worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

She’s eating and drinking

3/10/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about your girl. I need to ask some questions to best help out. What is her name? How old is she? How long have you had her? Is she indoors only?

Ok thanks she’s 14 so I’m worried it might be more serious then on a oung cat
Molly. 14 yrs. indoor but we have a new puppy
Are u there

Do you feel that she's eating normally? Is she having any nasal discharge? Any chance you did a lot of dusting or spraying / cleaning here recently?

She seems to be eating and drinking normally though she never drinks or eats very much. She’s very small. No we haven’t done any new testing or anything but we do have a new puppy that was sneezing and stuff last week who seems to be better this week so I’m wondering can I pass colds back-and-forth or something like that
They*
I can’t tell if she’s having any nasal discharge because she sneezes on me and I don’t know if that’s just saliva or what I mostly noticed it in the night last night although it seems to have started a little bit during the day

Colds / upper respiratory viral issues don't cross species barriers. Something viral that affects a dog won't affect a cat and vice versa as far as upper respiratory issues. It is good that she's eating and not seeming overly stressed outward wise. More than likely she's got a very mild upper respiratory infection that for the most part time, rest, good nutrition and her immune system will fight off. Sometimes they can have a flare up of an underlying viral issue (herpes virus) due to stress. The new puppy could have caused this to flare up. If that was the case, then time and her immune system should fight it off and she should be back to normal soon. I wouldn't be overly worried with this situation as long as she's not distressed, she's eating, and she's not restricted with breathing due to a lot of discharge in the nares.

OK that’s really good news. Is there anything I can give her to help her immune system or anything like that. She’s very picky eater ( like I said she’s old and crotchety ) Is there anything I need to get for her that would help her heal faster or am I just overreacting

Honestly, the best thing you can do to help her immune system is to keep her food as it is. The last thing I'd want to do is to try and play with her food and her then not eat as well or get stomach upset / diarrhea from it. I would hope that you're being very observant and caring for her and her body and time will handle things.

Ok! Thank you so much!!!

Absolutely no problem! I'm hoping for the best for this little girl!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?