Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have many indoor cats but I have been feeding an older…

I have many indoor...

I have many indoor cats but I have been feeding an older kitten outside that was brought to my yard by his mother. Although he has been eating wet kitten and cat food mixed with some dry, he seems to be having trouble with diarrhea and constipation lately. He is long haired and I see that some of his feces is sticking to him. He is still eating and craves company. He seems to be waiting for his mother to come around although he is five or six months old. I have a little house for him that has blankets to keep him warn and sometimes he is in there with another larger cat. I want to help him but am not sure how. I can foster him for awhile but I have eight indoor cats.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?

I call him "little pumpkin" because he is small, long haired, black with yellow eyes and is very cute. He know my voice and he seems to eat but is having trouble staying clean in his hind quarters. He has plenty of water but may or may not be drinking enough. I would take him in but I have healthy indoor cats and I may not have enough room to separate him from them. Also I do not know how to clean him up. He has feces up and down his hind legs. I never saw this in a cat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

He is a stray I think because he showed up last November in my yard with a cat who I think is his mother. She is not with him too much anymore and I think this upsets him although he does not rely on her for food. It is now March and I see he is now having trouble with his bowel movements because I have seen him strain and yet he has diarrhea also and it is all stick to him. He is beginning to smell bad. I am not even sure if he is a he or a she.

3/10/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thank you.

It was no accident that his mother brought him to you......the queen mother knows when kittens are sick.....this kitten is sick. At the current age I suspect that this kitten is infected with multiple type parasites. Most likely, roundworms, coccidia and or tritrichomonas foetus. Unfortunately there are no OTC dewormers that are going to treat all of these......this little baby must go to the vet or this chronic diarrhea will kill him/her. You can purchase strongid/pyrantel and give 1 ml per 10 pounds every 3 weeks for 4 treatments so in other words if the kitten weighs 5 pounds you would give 0.5 mls or 1/2 ml. But the other two infections are definitely going to require a vet visit. These will be life threatening without treatment. THis little kid has to see a vet in person to get this taken care of.......

And you should know this may require several vet visits to get this taken care of.....I treat this all the time....

Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

if you need additional help or have additional questions feel free to leave your questions here and I will respond later tonight. Thank you, DRB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dear Dr. B.,
Thank you for your advice. I will try my best to help this little cat. The problem is that he or she is feral although trusts me a little since I have been feeding him. He is small but must be at least five to six months old. The mother is also feral and less trusting and is not around too much anymore although he waits for her and wants her company. I will have to trap the kitten in a have a heart trap. I am afraid that her will be frightened and might not recover. He has feces hanging on to the back of him. I thought he was having trouble with his digestion and elimination probably because of parasite. He cleans himself in the front but seems to not be able to clean himself in the back. I have never seen anything liker this before in a cat. He also is a long haired variety and other wise quite beautiful. I do not know if I can afford to pay for all of his treatments so I am asking for help through our cat shelters. I have eight indoor cats of my own, all of whom I rescued and treated. I do not think my husband wants me to adopt another although he is sympathetic. I am just afraid for this little cat because I don't know how he will react to being trapped and treated for his problem which I hope is treatable and not fatal. Thank you, ***** *****

Mary, Even if you cannot treat and or keep this cat it is better to get him/her somewhere that can treat or euthanize him. Dying in the wild is an awful way to go.....hopefully you can trap him and maybe find a vet to help you...God Bless you....DRB

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dear Dr. B.,
I will try to save this little cat. I am going to try and trap him tomorrow and see if my VET will treat him. I also live near a very good animal hospital that I have used for my own cats and may take him there. I must give him a chance and I will foster him until he finds a home or else I will keep him. Thank you for your advice. I no am convinced that I must do this.
Thank you and Bless you too,
Mary
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian