Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I woke up to hear her sneezing, violently and she

Customer Question
I woke up to...

I woke up to hear her sneezing, violently and she coughed...really sounded weird...and then I went downstairs to see blood spatter on my couch...Not sure if the blood was coming from the violent sneezes or her cough. 'She is currently being treated with Clavamox for a uninary infection (Day 10) for the antibiotics. Help.. She is 9 year old female flame pointe Himalayan.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?

Belle..she is 9.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Belle?

She has been losing a little weight, but since the antibiotics seem to be working for the urinary infection, her appitite is better. Her coat is missding hair in some places. Had a complete blood profile plus done 2 weeks ago and everything was normal...

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/10/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Can you shine a flash light around her nostril and see if you see any traces of blood? That will only work if it just happened.

Check her gum color. If she is losing a lot of blood her gums will be pale.

Continue to monitor her throughout the day. If she keeps sneezing, or coughing, then she may have an upper respiratory tract infection which is a viral cold.

Dry air can also cause irritated nasal passages.

Human nasal saline drops can be given twice a day to help moisturize irritated nasal passages. One drop in each nostril twice a day.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions I can assist you with right now? You can always reply again later even after you rate my answer. To rate my answer, please click on the stars. Then I know how I did and the website will credit me for my time.

Thanks!

Cat Veterinarian: ever-cssm,
 replied 5 months ago
ever-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.com/cat-health/b2ugn-woke-hear-sneezing-violently.html
Thank you, ***** Support Team
Dr Gabby: You asked me to check her nostrils for blood and her gums to see if they are pale. I am responding to your question. Yes, there is blood coming from her nose. She won't let me open her mouth, so I don't know about her gums. She did have another attack yesterday, and I took her for emergency vet who thinks it could be a nasal tumor. he gave her an antihistamine shot and something temporary to hold off the bleeding. He wants me to get a CT scan to verify a tumor .Any other options to verify a tumor?

Yes, she could have x-rays, under anesthesia or sedation, or a scope with a tiny camera can be passed into her nasal passages to look around.

Those should cost less than an MRI or CT scan.

You would have to ask your local vet for the price estimates.

I hope that helps.