Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My fat cat bites me when hungry which is always. 4. He is on…

My fat cat bites...

My fat cat bites me when hungry which is always

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Jack 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?

He is on a three cat household. Declawed neutered

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Jack. Is he only biting you when he's wanting food? Is he free fed? Is he an only cat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was fed with free interactive feeder bit pay few months twice a day only. He's fat

When does he seem to be biting you? Is he doing it on your hands? Your legs? Are you initiating the contact / interaction before the bite or is he seeking you out?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When he's hungry which is always the worse in the am before his am dry food
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He bites my feet circling it And then really hard bite

Ok. One of the things that may help with his situation is to consider getting a lower calorie cat food. If he's on a lower calorie cat food, it may be something that can be left out all the time and he can free feed and keep himself happier. The lower calorie hopefully can help to combat the displaced aggression he's having due to him being hungry. The other option may be to feed him the same amount of his current diet in more frequent feedings so he's not as hungry.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you think it's ok to free feed a fat cat as long as it is a lower calorie food

If his weight isn't blooming up with the free feeding of the lower calorie food then it is an option.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He seems rather insatiable always wanting food. Interactive feeder was good but it gave one of other cats chin acne
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I will try this route thank you

Can you get a stainless steel area where the feeding / chin rubs as that is the big area where plastic irritates and causes the chin acne.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What I've done now

Great. That stainless steel is a huge help. The other thing that can be done is to wipe the chin with a non-scented baby wipe occasionally to help remove any debris / build up that may be there. I would give this a try and see if it helps with his biting. The other thing that can help is to try and encourage play with toys and such so he plays with them and takes out his energy on them. It can also help with the weight!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

Absolutely no problem!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian