Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My female cat who is a year and 7 9 months old has been

hi, my female cat who...
hi, my female cat who is a year and 7 9 months old has been acting different the last two days she normally very active and full of energy. she is both an indoor and outdoor cat. She's normally and outdoor Kitty every chance she gets during the day. At night I do my best to keep her in side because we have bears and mountain lions where i live. but for the past 24 to 48 hours she has only wanted to go out for a very short spell i think only to go potty becaus3 she doesn't like using her cat box anymore ( even though I do keep it clean and fresh) she only uses it at night sometimes. But anyways she went outside for less then a hour. Shes not baby any of her paws but I've not seen her run or Sprint or jump either in the last 24-48 hours. shes just walking kind slow for her. Except for the about the hour she went outside she's been inside sleeping for a good portion of the time and he's normally sprawled out on her bed sleeping but she's been under our bed sleeping and when I call the setup position not laying down completely I'm very worried about her but I don't have the money to take her to the vet for just for them to tell me she's okay because a visit where I live without them do anything but just seeing her is $75-$100 buck sometimes more. PLEASE HELP
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that it's supposed to read a year and 9 months not 7 9 months sorry
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
here is a video of her walking just now it seems like u back is arched a little
3/10/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for the video. Please give me a moment to take a look...

She's walking as if painful in her abdomen or spine. I would consider that she had been traumatized during the extensive time she spends outdoors. Regretfully, it's nigh impossible for me to assess the extent of injury from here. I need you to do a few things for me, please...

1) Check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to her tissues).

2) Check her respiratory rate . She should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
shes not gonna let me check her gums or temperature without her getting upset and stressing out shes currently on my bed and i dont want her to freak out and fall off the bed trying to get away from me but ill do my best
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
shes taking 31 breaths a min
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i dont have a thermometer. The one i had apparently doesnt work

I understand. Her respiratory rate is slightly elevated...most likely due to pain. In cats we have to be careful what we give them for pain relief. Aspirin is safe dosed at 5 mg per pound of body weight at 48 hour intervals. You must avoid the toxic acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is it okay for cats noses to be completely dry
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
yeah she is getting really worked up

The dryness/wetness of noses is a poor assessment of pet health. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
from what i can see her gums seem to be pink. she got very upset and tried to get up and one of her back legs started to shake as she was attempting to sit up she then kinda fell over slightly and is just laying there with her tail now whipping very hard and fast against the bed

She appears to have been injured. It would be prudent to have her examined hands-on by her vet - careful palpation +/- X-rays/ultrasound.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
yikes i was afraid of that. do u think it could wait until Monday the couple vets i have near me will charge almost 400 dollars before they even see her because it is the weekend ��

I regret that I can't know how urgent it is from here. Ideally, such a cat should be attended to at your earliest convenience. Mea culpa.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay thank u very much

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay thank u and i most defiantly will keep u updated. Gonna go call a vet

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Hi Julie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i just wanted to let u know that i took my cat to the vet and the vet did a physical on her and examined her back legs and the vet said she couldnt feel or see any wounds and doesn't think there's a break or fracture. so she gave her antibiotic and a anti-inflammatory and hopefully that helps

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. I'll think good thoughts for her prompt recovery.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank u for caring enough for wanting an update

It's my pleasure.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian