Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cats may have just eaten Jagged pieces of broken plastic…

My cats may have just...
My cats may have just eaten Jagged pieces of broken plastic from the spoon side of a white plastic spoon. I was serving down yogurt in their bowls and as I added seconds and thirds of the yogurt (cuz I only give them a tiny bit at a time) I realized that the spoon I was feeding with them with was NOW CRACKED and a quarter of the spoon was MISSING and I reached my fingers into their yogurt and didn't feel any plastic so I went to look into the actual yogurt container to find the plastic and couldn't find it in there, and then finally realized that there was some in my cat's Bowl after all ... and some of the plastic is still missing. I'm freaking out.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did this happen?

How are they doing? Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Any belly discomfort?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This just happened 20 min ago. This is a picture of the cracked spoon and the piece of plastic I found In one cats bowl. I found a slightly larher piece in the large yogurt I was scooping from but as you can see there would still be missing pieces that I CANT FIND that one or both cats may have ingested. The pieces would not be larger than the missing area of this spoon but they might be jagged.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think they are going to be harmed in any way if they did eat that amount of missing plastic (besides the 2 small pices of plastic I recovered)??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It just happened less than half an hour ago so right now they are acting totally normal

Hello again,

Now if these were dogs, I'd be suspicious it has been eaten but cats really tend to know better. So, I wouldn't be panicked here but would suggest some supportive care and monitoring for the weekend to be safe. To start, lets put some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin) into some canned food or even more yogurt as that will help coat any plastic bits and push it through the gut. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut if any of them did eat this missing bit.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on everyone. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, belly pain, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having any cat showing those signs to the vet for an exam +/- an xray would be best. But again cats don't tend to gobble food like dogs (they lap yogurt usually) and its very rare cats would eat something like this (even on accident). So, I'd use the above to be safe because jagged edged items can hurt the gut but if we do that and no one shows signs then we likely don't have an issue here. Of course, any of those above signs or any kitty being withdrawn/hiding, then we'd want that one checked just in case.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

I aim to provide best care for your pets just as I do for my own patients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Hi again,

Yes, that is absolutely fine (I just want to avoid any one using the kind for industrial machines/use) and we can add 0.5-1ml into their meals (we don't want to make their stools loose) to just aid them passing this bit of plastic if one did accidently eat it.

All the best,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi! I just got home from the store and gave them each a serving of the pumpkin mixed in with the tiny bit of mineral oil in each serving but now they're full from the yogurt and they won't eat it. How long can they wait without getting the mineral oil pumpkin without there being danger of the plastic not being lubricated???

Hi again,

Oh, kitties. If they won't take a bit mixed into canned food, it would be ok to hold off for a few hours (1-2) until they will. We could of course gently syringe feed the canned pumpkin (though not the mineral oil) if need be but we can give them a break to avoid any stress for you all.

Best wishes,

Dr. B

**************************

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Dr. B! I got them to eat some tuna with mineral oil on top. Do you think they will be alright?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Only one of the cats would eat the pumpkin and tuna mix. The other I had to give straight tuna and oil.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

That sounds fine for all of them and it will just reduce risk here. So, again cats usually know better then to eat bits of plastic (even hidden in yogurt) but with bases covered (and you can keep adding these to food over the next 24 hours) we are reducing any risk here even more for them. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B

**************************

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. Thank you thank you thank you. You are an angel. Moby and Shakira say "Thank You Dr. B!!!" ����
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Those question marks were supposed to be a smiley face and heart emoji!

You are very welcome.

I am glad to be of help and I do appreciate the smileys and hearts even if the system didn't show them. :)

Best wishes for you all,

Dr. B

**************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian