Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I am house sitting and looking after my aunts cat - Sophie…

Hi I am house...

Hi I am house sitting and looking after my aunts cat - Sophie silver Burmese quite old, 12-14 years old. She has recently lost her sister/ cat. She has a UTI and as her vet could not see her today. I have looked for medicine and found some that was given to her in 2013. So I gave her some a few hours ago. She seems ok, eating, drinking, Peeing a lot, small amounts. I know it’s not an urgent matter but wondering will the 2013 med be sufficient. Or do I need to take her to a vet when next they are available. I have human Keflex would that be appropriate to give a cat in small doses ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Thank you.

3/10/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Sophie is urinating frequently and you have some medication from 2013 that you would like to use. Are you able to see an expiration date? It would be unlikely that it is still effective, but an expiration date will help you know. If it is passed the expiration date then it is still possible that the medication will work, but it is not recommended to use because it is not possible to be sure.

Hello no there is no expiration date.
Metrogyl issued 17/12/2013

It is very likely expired. That date might be the expiration date, so I would not advise to use it because there is no way to know if it is effective. It is also not the best antibiotic to use for urinary tract infections. That one is more often used for cases of diarrhea or intestinal infection.

No thank you. On a budget.
So what will tell me if she needs to go to a vet. Signs and symptoms to look out for.
As I said she seems ok. It’s not seeming critical.
Susie

These cases are only emergencies if she cannot urinate at all or if she is urinating so frequently and not drinking that she becomes severely dehydrated. You can monitor for hydration by using one of two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds.

Ok so I will take her then.
Keflex any good for cats in small does ? ��‍♀️

Keflex can be used for a urinary tract infection. It is a decent choice. However, there are other conditions in cats that can look like a UTI, but not actually be caused by a bacteria. For example, interstitial cystitis is a common condition in cats that can cause frequent urination, but there is no bacteria in the urine at all. Crystals in the urine can also do this and there is often no bacteria associated with that either. That is why a urinalysis is an important diagnostic test.

Does that help to answer your question?

Ok soo will take her asap for a urine analysis. Her gums are wet and sticky and the muscle test is normal.

Thank you for that information. It sounds like she is well hydrated, so this is not an emergency. She can wait until tomorrow to see your regular veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Ok Scott
Yes five stars for you.
Many thanks, ***** ***** lovely weekend.
Susie