Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My haired cat has been vomiting for the past 24 hours. He…

My long haired cat...

My long haired cat has been vomiting for the past 24 hours. He just threw up for the fifth time a few moments ago.He is now lethargic. The day before this started he threw up a massive furball (about six inches long, no joke) which normally means he'll be a little up-chucky for the next day or so, but this is getting to the point of really worrying me, and all the vets I've called are closed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

He has the feline herpes virus, but the symptoms are controlled through diet and additional lycine added to their food. His only carry over from having it are that he has irritable bowel syndrome (also controlled through diet and never been an issue since it's been changed) and he also as weepy eyes which I clean regularly. but generally he is in really good health. He and all our fur babies are indoors, but as I live on a farm, we somehow managed to get fleas in the house which I've managed to clear up, and Casper (the kitty in question) turned out to have allergies to fleas. But again, that has been cleared up and he had no reactions to the treatments.

3/10/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does the vomit look like?

Can he keep any water down?

Has he been urinating normally? Any straining?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Hi there, thank you for getting back to me.I've checked his vomit pretty thoroughly and there's been no abnormalities. It's consisted of food in varying stages of digestion, getting less so more recently. His last two vomits were only liquid that smelled very strongly of stomach acid and were a little frothy.I've just rechecked his gums and while they were fine before, they do look a little pale now. They have the regular amount of saliva though and no trace of frothing/foaming.His belly feels fine too. He doesn't show any signs of discomfort or pain and is quite happy to let me check, same with around his throat.My partner and I have other fur-babies too and one of them is a chronic eater of things he shouldn't, so we're both careful about what's left out in the open that they could eat. Also Casper (cat in question) has never been one that eats random things (thankfully) If it isn't in his food bowl, he isn't interested.Also, just in case it's relevant, his stool is completely normal, as is his urine. No funny textures or scents. And there was nothing strange in his stool either. But I am now struggling to get him to drink anything. He's flopped himself in a corner and hasn't moved in several hours.

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see that Casper isn't the kind of kitty that would eat something he should not have and that he is passing urine (that being a male cat emergency when they cannot do so). Though given his signs, we do need to tread with care as slight paling may not be significant but any further paling and we'd have to consider some serious issues (ie stomach bleeding -though the vomit description doesn't support that, GI circulation compromise --usually more a worry with cats with foreign bodies). Instead for the moment, my main concerns with Casper would be a possible residual nausea post hairball, bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care. To start, to reduce nausea (which will be causing both vomiting and reluctance to eat/drink) you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can try an easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. And for him we may just want to put him on an OTC cat hairball paste (or even consider adding canned pumpkin to canned food in the future) just to make sure there are no lingering hairballs in the stomach and to generally help prevent those for him.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns but it is possible given our time frame that this nausea is residual from that giant hairball. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care now. If that is all that is to blame then usually the above will settle them. Of course, if he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Thank you so much. I gave him some antacids and within half an hour he'd moved from his corner and had perked up quite a lot. Unfortunately he won't touch anything that I've cooked up for him (he's finicky as anything) but I soaked his kibble in water so it was a paste and he's had a go at that and kept it down. (Unfortunately I didn't have any wet food in the house, as two of our cats can't eat it without disastrous litter tray incidents)Again, thank you so much! Hopefully i'll be able to get him into the vet on Monday for more check ups, but he at least seems to be more comfortable and is back to his smoochie marshmallow self.

You are very welcome,

That is a step in the right direction and I am glad to see that he was willing to have some soaked dry. :)

So, keep up the good work and hopefully we can just keep him comfy here.

All the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.