Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I noticed that my cat has puss coming from his anus area,

Customer Question
I noticed that my...

I noticed that my cat has white puss coming from his anus area, possibly from his right anal gland

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

He has white puss coming from his anus, I thought it was a tapeworm, but the puss is coming from the right side of the anus, so I am thinking it might be his anal gland.

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** my vet thinks that he is about 4 or 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Midnight?

Midnight has been throwing up hairballs for the last week and a half. It has been one hairball each day.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/10/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Midnight.

Now if he has pus from the anus then you are right it will likely be from the gland and suggests its infected. Therefore, he would need to see his local vet for antibiotics to clear that from the inside out and prevent it overfilling with pus which can cause pain if it were to grow and rupture. Otherwise, with regards ***** ***** vomiting hairballs, that isn't likely related (though some cats will stress overgroom when not feeling 100% so there may be an indirect link) but there is a bit of supportive care we can use to help with both of these issues. Specifically, you can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin) +/- OTC cat hairball paste to his food. Both will aid pushing hairballs down through the GI so he doesn't vomiting them. As well, both will aid pushing stool through the rectum (and fiber of course firming them a bit more then usual) which will help empty the glands. So, that can be used over the weekend as long as he isn't sore or off food. Else we'd want his local vet to see him once they are open so that antibiotics can be dispensed to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

************

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : )

**************************

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.